Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Need Template that is NOT attached to a File in Specific Location

Hello...

We have users at multiple facilities. A user at our main facility
(where our templates are created and stored) will create a new document
based on an existing template, then email it to a second user at
another facility that does *not* have access to our stored templates.

The result is that the second user cannot open the document because the
document is looking for the parent template on which it is based. (When
we unprotect the document and look in "Templates and Add-Ins" at the
path specified in the "Document Template," it is referencing a template
location that the second user cannot access.) Therefore, her
computer will eventually time-out, hang and crash.

Does anyone know how we can create a template that is based on or
attached to a "generic" file that *everyone* can access, regardless of
its location?

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Jessi

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Before sending the document out, switch the attached template to normal.dot.
This can be done manually using the Templates and Add-Ins dialog or by using
a macro in your original template that does this as part of an AutoNew or
Save procedure.

This is the first time I had heard of it crashing a computer. If the remote
user is not on a network at the time they open the document, it will open
right up.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thank you so much for your help!

Jessi

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks for your suggestion, Charles.

I'm not sure what's going on with this... As an experiment, I also
emailed a document based on this template to another computer that is
NOT on our network, and the document had no problems opening! So now
I'm not sure *why* this particular user's computer is having a
problem....

Thanks,
Jessi

AutoText entries will be lost Chuck Microsoft Word Help 8 March 13th 06 01:22 PM
How Come? Michael Koerner Mailmerge 9 February 10th 06 10:29 PM
Creating Docs and Saving to DocsOpen only shows correct Attached T Chuck Henrich Microsoft Word Help 0 January 30th 06 05:23 PM
How to creat relative and shorthand file path names? 2dogs Microsoft Word Help 1 May 15th 05 12:11 PM
Why doesn't my custom template attach to my .htm file? KCS Microsoft Word Help 1 November 30th 04 03:58 AM