Kensword Kensword is offline
Junior Member

Default Rogue Tab when Importing Styles

System: OS Windows XP, MS Word 2003, SP3

Have a problem with a rogue tab when importing styles.

I frequently need to apply a set of standard styles to documents (mainly contracts) which I receive and have a template from which I can import the styles. I have found one glitch that seems impossible to resolve and would appreciate help.

Using a simple test system to illustrate the problem:

(1) A source document is created from Normal.dot (which has default tab stops set at 1.5 cm). I select the Heading 1 style and type “This is test data”. This text is formatted correctly, in accordance with the style properties for Heading 1 (Normal + Font: (Default) Arial, 16 pt, Bold, Indent: Left: 0 cm, Hanging: 1.5 cm, No widow/orphan control, Keep with next, Level 1, Tabs: 1.5 cm, List tab, Outline numbered + Level: 1 + Numbering Style: 1, 2, 3, … + Start at: 1 + Alignment: Left + Aligned at: 0 cm + Tab after: 1.5 cm + Indent at: 1.5 cm)

(2) I attach my StylesTemplate.dot using ‘Tools/Templates and Add-Ins/Attach’ and then apply (‘OK’) firstly with ‘Automatically update document styles’ selected and then a second time with this option de-selected. The text is re-styled according to the imported style of Heading 1 (Agrmnt_Text + Font: Times New Roman Bold, Bold, Indent: Left: 0 cm, Hanging: 1.5 cm, Keep with next, Level 1, Tabs: 1.5 cm, List tab, Outline numbered + Level: 1 + Numbering Style: 1, 2, 3, … + Start at: 1 + Alignment: Left + Aligned at: 0 cm + Tab after: 1.5 cm + Indent at: 1.5 cm) EXCEPT that there is no indent and the single tab required by this style is set at 0.63 cm and not 1.5 cm as required by the style properties. Opening Heading 1 in the ‘Tools/ Styles and Formatting/ Modify/Format/ Numbering’ (there is no need to enter the ‘Customize’ dialog) and just clicking ‘OK’ corrects the problem.

Any thoughts on what is going on here would be much appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Why would you create your new document from the normal.dot template
instead of from the StylesTemplate.dot template?

--
Kensword

Kensword Kensword is offline
Junior Member

Apologies, in my quest to explain the problem I probably misdirected you. I do create my documents from the StylesTemplate.dot template but either (i) when my orginals go off site, the external 'Wordsmiths' invariably mangle the styles such that I have to reapply them when the document is returned or (ii) I receive documents from outside sources which need to be 'stylized' because I need to make substantial changes. In both cases, I am dealing with independent third parties and I am therefore unable to dictate templates, styles or even what software is used to create/edit documents. The example I posted was just meant to provide an easy way of illustrating the problem and showing that the source document (created from normal.dot), onto which the styles from StylesTemplate.dot are applied, did not have any tabs set at 0.63cm.

Hope this makes the posting a little more clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T. Daniels View Post
Why would you create your new document from the normal.dot template
instead of from the StylesTemplate.dot template?
Brian Langley Brian Langley is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensword View Post
[...]

I wouls suggest you swipe the text of the incoming document, and use the remove formatting option revealed in the styles and formatting drop down menu. Copy and paste this text into a blank document with your template attached and re-apply the styles. If not you will copy the external styles into your document and your template will expand exponentially.

I have to do this with very long technical documents because if both documents use the same template the engineers always know best and muck up the styles.

'rogue' styles? JethroUK Microsoft Word Help 2 January 18th 08 10:55 PM
'rogue' styles? JethroUK New Users 2 January 18th 08 10:55 PM
Importing Styles and Formatting keydet1979 Microsoft Word Help 2 April 23rd 05 03:30 PM
How do I stop rogue styles ie 1.5 Char Char occuring when I merge. ANNE O Microsoft Word Help 0 April 7th 05 08:09 AM
Importing Styles Charles Kenyon New Users 0 November 24th 04 11:38 PM