Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sandra Sandra is offline

Default How to link bullet icon to List Bullet style?

In 2007, how can I link the bullet icon to the List Bullet style?
Thanks!
Sandra
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can intercept the built-in FormatBulletDefault command by placing this
simple macro in your normal.dotm:

Sub FormatBulletDefault()
Selection.Paragraphs(1).Style = wdStyleListBullet
End Sub

For assistance, see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

But note that this macro will only run if you click the Bullet button; it
doesn't run if you press the arrow on the Bullet button (which allows you to
choose a specific bullet format).

To apply the List Bullet style, it's actually easier to make use of the built-in
Ctrl+Shift+L shortcut.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sandra" wrote in message
In 2007, how can I link the bullet icon to the List Bullet style?
Thanks!
Sandra

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sandra Sandra is offline

Stefan,

Does that just work for me?
How do I do this in a document/template for multiple users per project?

I doubt I will be given access to everyone's Normal.dot* (various versions
of Word--mostly 2003 and 2007, but some 2010). But I need to ensure that
whatever method the user applies to get lists, the correct style is applied.

Years ago, I had done something (maybe VB?) that changed this for all users
of a template, but I cannot recall exactly what I had done.

Thanks,
Sandra

"Sandra" wrote in message
In 2007, how can I link the bullet icon to the List Bullet style?
Thanks!
Sandra

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sandra Sandra is offline

Okay, update:

I put it in the document (quasi-template; users will be asked to copy and
then make edits) and tested on another 2007 user's laptop.

I added

Sub FormatNumberDefault()
Selection.Paragraphs(1).Style = wdStyleListNumber
End Sub

to do the same thing for the Numbering.

And then I linked the List Number 1-5 to one of the Multilevel list styles,
so the indent/outdent arrow keys would bump the styles down/up the List
Number chain.

It all works on the other user's laptop EXCEPT the List Number 2, which
should be a lowercase a, comes up as an UPPERCASE A from the indent/outdent
arrow keys. Applying the List Number 2 style gets the correct lowercase a.

I used the Multilevel list name as ListNumber--is that a standard name?
Does the Multilevel list name need to be unique?

Thanks,
Sandra

"Sandra" wrote in message
In 2007, how can I link the bullet icon to the List Bullet style?
Thanks!
Sandra

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For what it's worth, adding a *.dotm file containing the code to each user's
Startup folder should work.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP