Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rick Charnes Rick Charnes is offline

Default Are Options stored in a file somewhere?

In Word 2003, is there a file that stores the Options I've chosen (Tools
| Options)? I don't think they're stored in NORMAL.DOC. I will sooon
need to move to a new installation and don't want to lose my Options
settings. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

They're stored in the Registry. See these articles:

What files do I need to back up?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm

What exactly does the Data Key in the Registry store?
I have been told I have a corrupt Data Key in my registry and need to delete
it; what settings will I lose; and can I back them up so I can restore them
later?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...eySettings.htm

"Rick Charnes" wrote in message
om...
In Word 2003, is there a file that stores the Options I've chosen (Tools
| Options)? I don't think they're stored in NORMAL.DOC. I will sooon
need to move to a new installation and don't want to lose my Options
settings. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rick Charnes Rick Charnes is offline

Thanks for this wonderfully informative article. One question: it
mentions that these settings (I'm particularly keen to save
Tools|Options and Tools|AutoCorrect Options) are stored in a registry
key named 'Data':

Word 97: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Wo rd\Data
Word 2000: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Wo rd\Data

I have Word 2003 and I'm wondering if the key location has changed since
the article was written. Looking in my registry under--

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office

I see branches for 8.0, 9.0, 10.0 and 11.0, but none of them have a
\Word\Data branch off of it. Any thoughts?

In article ,
says...
They're stored in the Registry. See these articles:

What files do I need to back up?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm

What exactly does the Data Key in the Registry store?
I have been told I have a corrupt Data Key in my registry and need to delete
it; what settings will I lose; and can I back them up so I can restore them
later?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...eySettings.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Rick,

It hasn't changed for Word 2003. My registry shows the key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Data

as expected.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:08:52 -0500, Rick Charnes
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rick Charnes Rick Charnes is offline

Yup, so does mine. My brain was saying HKEY_CURRENT_USER, but my hands
were rummaging through the registry looking at HKEY_LOCAL_USER. Thanks
to your message, I now have the two coordinated. :-))

In article ,
says...
Hi Rick,

It hasn't changed for Word 2003. My registry shows the key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Data

as expected.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:
http://word.mvps.org

File | Open options PT New Users 2 April 10th 06 05:20 AM
Where are Eq. Editor options stored? Al Microsoft Word Help 3 April 1st 06 09:07 AM
Scaned Pages into Word, stored in DOC file or another directory Lee Coin Microsoft Word Help 1 March 28th 06 02:19 AM
Which file is autocorrect information stored in to transfer erh Microsoft Word Help 3 March 1st 06 08:24 AM
Where are Tools Options settings stored? Ann Scharpf Microsoft Word Help 8 November 15th 05 07:15 PM