Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tshad tshad is offline

Default Setting a style on a list item

I can't seem to set a style on a list item without it taking it out of the
list.

If I have:

1) test1
2) test2

And I set something like "Heading 1" to set the style based on "list" or
something else, it takes it out of the list and the list becomes:

test1
1) test2

How do I set a style that doesn't affect the list and only does nothing to
the text or list. I am just trying to set up a style that I can use in my
TOC.

Thanks,

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tshad tshad is offline

"tshad" wrote in message
I can't seem to set a style on a list item without it taking it out of the
list.

If I have:

1) test1
2) test2

And I set something like "Heading 1" to set the style based on "list" or
something else, it takes it out of the list and the list becomes:

test1
1) test2

I also tried to change the Style based on "List Number" and ended up with:

1. test1
1)test2

How do I set a style that doesn't affect the list and only does nothing to
the text or list. I am just trying to set up a style that I can use in my
TOC.

Thanks,

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tshad tshad is offline

I also tried to use a custom template that was based on "Character" and that
didn't affect the List Item, but it also didn't appear in the TOC list of
available styles.

When I created the style I checked, add to template since in the TOC setup
area I have "From Template" set in the Formats dropdown. But it still
doesn't show.

How can I get the custom style to show in the TOC list?

Thanks,

Tom

"tshad" wrote in message
"tshad" wrote in message
I can't seem to set a style on a list item without it taking it out of the
list.

If I have:

1) test1
2) test2

And I set something like "Heading 1" to set the style based on "list" or
something else, it takes it out of the list and the list becomes:

test1
1) test2

I also tried to change the Style based on "List Number" and ended up with:

1. test1
1)test2

How do I set a style that doesn't affect the list and only does nothing
to the text or list. I am just trying to set up a style that I can use
in my TOC.

Thanks,

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Create a numbered *paragraph style*; it can then be selected in the Table of
Contents Options dialog box. Or, even better, associate the built-in
headings (Heading 1-9) with an outline-numbered list. Note that the exact
steps to accomplish this depends on your version of Word. For Word 97-2003,
the following link is useful:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom