Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Susan[_3_] Susan[_3_] is offline

Default Word documents from records in csv file?

If you have a csv file and you would like to create a standardized word
document for a record in the csv file, how would you do that? Can anyone
point me in a direction to start reading? If there a way to set up a word
document to pull fields for entries from another file? Or maybe there is
another MS product to explore?

Thanks,
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If I needed to have the csv file in Word format, I would open the file with
Excel, copy the resulting columns/rows to the clipboard, then paste into
Word (to produce a Word table), then save in Word format.

You could do everything using Word (e.g., using mailmerge, and sending the
output to a file; or using find/replace), but using Excel as an intermediary
strikes me as easier. If you plan to use the resulting file as a data file,
in fact, you might simply leave it in Excel format, and not bother
converting it to Word.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Susan" wrote in message
If you have a csv file and you would like to create a standardized word
document for a record in the csv file, how would you do that? Can anyone
point me in a direction to start reading? If there a way to set up a word
document to pull fields for entries from another file? Or maybe there is
another MS product to explore?

Thanks,
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Why would it be too much for several records? In Excel, each record is a
row, and each variable is a column. You open the csv file, and presto... If
you then want it in Word format, copy the data to the clipboard and paste it
into Word. It's fast and efficient. I don't see where the difficulty lies.

--

"Susan" wrote in message
If you have a csv file and you would like to create a standardized word
document for a record in the csv file, how would you do that? Can anyone
point me in a direction to start reading? If there a way to set up a
word document to pull fields for entries from another file? Or maybe
there is another MS product to explore?

Thanks,
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What I suspect you are looking for is mail merge -
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm These pages cover the
essentials of mail merge, albeit concentrated on labels as these are the
most complex of the merge types. Letter and directory merges are simpler.
Word can use a variety of data sources for merge - including CSV.
See also http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm which
demonstrates how to convert a CSV format file to a table.