Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jannr Jannr is offline

Default Directory Access in Word 2007

The IT guy just redid my computer, sigh. When I hit control "O" all I get is
access to one drive -- I do not get the "side bar" or "tree" allowing me to
choose other drives as it did before he messed with it. Under options/file
locations I was able to change the default directory to our main drive which
is "H" but when I open to the default directory it does not allow me to move
between let's say the "H" and "C" drives, or any other drives. And when
working with documents sometimes within that directory I find I hit a wall
and cannot even work within that directory and have to go out and come back
in via the start menu and computer. I do not have "My Computer" either. I'm
sorry I can't explain this better.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I'd get the IT Guy back and tell him to do his job properly. Are you able to
navigate to the 'home' folder on the server from an Explorer window? If you
cannot do it from Windows Explorer, then probably he hasn't set the correct
access permissions for you.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Jannr" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jannr Jannr is offline

I'd love to but most unfortunately the guy is an idiot and a good friend of
the owner. He out and out told me that he didn't know the software programs
well at all, they are my "problem." Believe me we all want him to replace
this idiot, who in addition has a "day job" and therefore is rarely
available, but it just isn't going to happen so I've got to figure this out
myself. Thank you for the suggestion, I don't know if I can do what you
suggest, but I'll try. If I can, what do I do then? I do know I have
administrator rights . . .

"Jannr" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

You need to see if you have access to that folder on the server, If you do
have access, then you can 'map' a drive letter to it (under Tools Menu in
Explorer). Once you are happy that you can access this from your computer,
you then need to go into Word, Tools, Customise and click on the File
Locations tab. Select the Document select and change the path to the
location on the server. This will then become the default location for your
File, Open and File, Save dialogs.

You can also add the location (or any other location on the server) to the
Place Bar (or My places) on the File Open, File Save dialog by navigating to
the location and then from the Tools Menu (in the File Open or File Save
dialog) Add to My Places.

Terry

"Jannr" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jannr Jannr is offline

Thanks so much. When I am able to access my computer again (my remote access
is down as well) I will certainly give this a try.