Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
jer&liz jer&liz is offline

Default Unknown formatting in Word document

I am using MS office 2007. I have a word document sent to me from an
associate. I am not sure if it was created in an earlier version of office
or not. I am trying to figure out how it was created. I wanted to use
parts of the document in other material. I have tried to select the entire
document Ctrl/A without success. The document is four pages with two columns
on a page. When I right click on a the 1st paragraph in any column, the
entire column becomes enclosed in a dotted box. The same thing after
clicking on any other column. Its like the document was created column by
column. There is no way I can select multiple columns. I tried to save the
document in a generic format .... *.txt and yet I still get the same end
result. I can only select parts of the document one column at a time. If I
delete a couple of lines from the end of the column, text will not normally
flow from the next column, to fill in what was deleted.

Does any one surmise what is going on here. How can I convert this segmented
document into one document that I can select various parts of, cut...paste,
etc.
Thanks for any help
Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

I would guess that the document is comprised of textboxes or frames.
Right click on the dotted lines and see if you can select Edit Text from
the menu. If you can do that, then you can select the text and copy it
individually from the frames or textboxes.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"jer&liz" jerliz@home wrote in message
:

[...]

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9/26/2007 12:12 PM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Possibly text boxes or frames, less likely a table. When you select the
text, is there a hashed border around it? Displaying text boundaries is
usually helpful, I find.