Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Catrina Catrina is offline

Default Turn Off Updating of Ref Fields in Word 2007

I have a document that someone used Ref fields to link to bookmarked figures
and hyperlinked them to the paragragh thus inserting a copy of the figure
everywhere they inserted the field. I unlinked the extra graphics from the
paragraph but not from the actual text e.g. "Figure VII 2-2." Now the
document has updated all of the fields and reinserted the figures back in.
If it was one or two no big deal but we are talking about probably 75-100
extra graphics being inserted into the document. I need to turn off the Auto
Updating of Fields on Save or whenever the heck it does it so that I can
remove all these Ref fields.
--
Catrina
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Powell[_2_] David Powell[_2_] is offline

If they're really links they may not be taking up that much extra room. A
single copy of the source object will be re-used. You can lock a field to
prevent it from updating, but that's only useful if the source might change
and you want to control when or if that happens (e.g., when a DATE field is
in a document, it will generally display today's date.). You can also
replace a field with its contents, so that it's no longer a field. But
that's not useful if you're trying to save space in the document. I don't
know what you mean by "I unlinked the extra graphics from the paragraph but
not from the actual text".
There are a bunch of keystrokes all related to the F9 key that let you do
these things.
F9 will force update of a field. Alt-F9 will toggle the display of the
field definition and its contents. Control-Shift-F9 will replace a field
with its current contents.
Maybe if you just hate the graphics and the time it takes for them to load
(even if not multiply-stored), you can find and redefine the relevant
bookmarks to exclude the graphic part. Your changes won't always show
immediately: you can select all (Control-A) and hit F9 to force an update
(although Headers and Footers (and other "stories" like footnotes) need to be
separately addressed.)

"Catrina" wrote:

I have a document that someone used Ref fields to link to bookmarked figures
and hyperlinked them to the paragragh thus inserting a copy of the figure
everywhere they inserted the field. I unlinked the extra graphics from the
paragraph but not from the actual text e.g. "Figure VII 2-2." Now the
document has updated all of the fields and reinserted the figures back in.
If it was one or two no big deal but we are talking about probably 75-100
extra graphics being inserted into the document. I need to turn off the Auto
Updating of Fields on Save or whenever the heck it does it so that I can
remove all these Ref fields.
--
Catrina

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Powell[_2_] David Powell[_2_] is offline

Further to my last post:
Control-F11 will lock a field.
The following Microsoft Help gives an overview.
It also tells about a ! suffix that can prevent some processing.
Following URL needs to be on one line in a browser.

http://office2010.microsoft.com/clie...9271&CTT=4#BM5