Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve W[_2_] Steve W[_2_] is offline

Default new end notes; old document

I have a couple hundred end notes that I manually link to superscripted
numbers in the text of an old document. Needless to say, it's tedious to
change them manually when I add new end notes. At least I have the end notes
renumbering automatically. But how do I convert them so that the superscript
number in the text automatically changes when the end note number changes as
I add new end notes randomly? Note that there are end notes that are NOT
linked to any of the text as well. I'm using Word 2003 and apologize if this
is an obvious question, or, more properly, if the answer is obvious.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I would say it would be worth your while to convert them to real endnotes,
which are automatically linked and update automatically as well. The
conversion process will be labor-intensive but worth it, I think.

"Steve W" Steve wrote in message
I have a couple hundred end notes that I manually link to superscripted
numbers in the text of an old document. Needless to say, it's tedious to
change them manually when I add new end notes. At least I have the end

notes
renumbering automatically. But how do I convert them so that the

superscript
number in the text automatically changes when the end note number changes

as
I add new end notes randomly? Note that there are end notes that are NOT
linked to any of the text as well. I'm using Word 2003 and apologize if

this
is an obvious question, or, more properly, if the answer is obvious.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I don't know that there's anything prefab that describes the process (which
I'll outline below); it's possible that someone could write VBA to automate
the process, and you might ask about that in one of the programming NGs.

The general procedure for doing it manually, however, would be as follows:

1. Switch to Normal view so you can view the endnotes in a pane at the
bottom of the screen.

2. Use Ctrl+Alt+D to create an Endnote at the appropriate location in the
text. If you want something other than the default formatting (which you
almost certainly will, since by default they're numbered with lowercase
roman numerals--don't ask), use Insert | Reference | Footnote to insert the
first one, then Ctrl+Alt+D for the rest.

3. Select the first manual endnote and Ctrl+X to cut it, then Ctrl+V to
paste it into the endnote in the endnote pane.

4. Repeat as needed.

This is tedious enough for footnotes (where you're not constantly jumping
back and forth in the document; I can imagine it would be an incredible pain
for endnotes. If you can use numbered references (in alphabetical order)
instead, this would be *much* easier to implement; see
http://daiya.mvps.org/biblio.htm#AlphaEndnotes. This would allow you to
number and sort the existing references, then insert cross-references to
their numbers in the text.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I would say it would be worth your while to convert them to real

endnotes,
which are automatically linked and update automatically as well. The
conversion process will be labor-intensive but worth it, I think.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Steve W" Steve wrote in message
I have a couple hundred end notes that I manually link to

superscripted
numbers in the text of an old document. Needless to say, it's tedious

change them manually when I add new end notes. At least I have the end

notes
renumbering automatically. But how do I convert them so that the

superscript
number in the text automatically changes when the end note number

changes
as
I add new end notes randomly? Note that there are end notes that are

NOT
linked to any of the text as well. I'm using Word 2003 and apologize

if
this
is an obvious question, or, more properly, if the answer is obvious.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve W Steve W is offline

The cross-referencing seems to work great! I even got the numbers to update
with F9. Now I'm left with a minor format problem: I direct formatted the
numbers to superscript, and they show up that way on the list fine, but not
in the text when I insert a cross-reference. They're just regular,
non-superscript numbers. I tried to S&R using ^19REF, but couldn't get that
to work either. How can I make the numbers look like superscript footnotes in
the text? Thanks SOOOOO much for your help Suzanne!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you insert cross-references to footnotes and endnotes in the Insert |
Reference | Cross-reference dialog, you can select "Endnote number
formatted" or "Footnote number formatted." If I examine the field code of
such a cross-reference, it includes an \f switch, which presumably provides
the formatting.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be available or effective in a REF
field, but you could apply the Endnote Reference character style to the REF
fields, and this *can* be done using Find and Replace. You'll need to
display field codes (so you--and Word--can see them), then search for ^19
REF (note the space). Leave the "Find what" box empty (or use ^&) and use
the Format button to apply the appropriate style.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve W Steve W is offline

Your clarification about turning on fields view with Alt-F9 did the trick. I
can't thank you enough, Suzanne, for all your help. You've proved an old dog
can be taught new tricks!