Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lasse in Stockholm Lasse in Stockholm is offline

Default Embedded pictures

I have a word dokument with about 10 embedded pictures with the size of 2 Mb.
Only one of the embedded pictures is shown in the document. If I convert this
dokument to pdf the size reduces to about 120 kb. Can instruct Word in any
way to do the same reduction in size.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

"10 embedded pictures" does this mean these are files being displayed as icons?
"Only one of the embedded pictures is shown" does this mean apart from the
other nine which are icons, this is actually the image showing?
If the files are embedded in as icons, Word will hold the file size of the
originals, hence the Word file size.
PDFing will usually reduce the file size because the icons become images
without the original file being attached (although it is possible when
converting to pdf to have the original files attached, this would inevitably
increase the PDF file size).
Word does not compress these files much, so the only way to reduce the Word
file size is to reduce the file size of the originals and re-embed.
Hope this helps
DeanH