Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daniel Shapiro Daniel Shapiro is offline

Default Can't open Office 2004 documents on Office 2003 SP3

Please help!

I can't open a file created with Microsoft Word 11.3.5 on a MAC on my PC
running Office 2003 SP3 (11.8215.8202 SP3). When I double click on the file
the "File Conversion" wizards opens with the Japanese (Shift=JIS) text
encoding option chosen by default. The file is all garbled up. I know 100%
that the file is written in English using common fonts. My laptop, which
doesn't have SP3, can open the file just fine, so I know the file is not
corrupted.

I tried to search the site but found no answers.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daniel Shapiro[_2_] Daniel Shapiro[_2_] is offline

Bob,

thank you for your reply. I tried any possible combinations... The file was
saved on the C:\ drive and double clicked. I also tried to do File Open from
inside the Word. It just plain doesn't work... Is there a file converter I'm
missing? Is the Office 2003 SP3 quietly added some "feature" which prevents
me from opening Office 2004 files? Again, my other PC with Office 2003 SP2
works just fine...

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi Daniel,

Are you saving the file to disk or opening it as an email attachment?
Do you get the same result if you first save the file (with .doc extension) to the hard drive and use File=Open?

==============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Daniel,

There are some fileblock settings in Office 2003 SP3, but they shouldn't cause the behavior you're seeing.

If you turn on
[x] Confirm Conversions on Open
in Tools=Options General
and then use File=Open, what file type does Word show the file to be?