Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LMW LMW is offline

Default Labels, printers, and programs -oh my!

Not sure if this is the right ng to post in, but I'm at my wits end!

I am having problems getting labels to "line up" correctly. I know there's a
post below about this, BUT it's not the printer in this case.

The first couple of labels might line up, but then they get worse as they
get further down.

I've tried THREE printers and used two different programs - Word and
Printmaster.
I've made up different labels (mostly the size of 1"x 2 5/8" and some 1/2"x
1 3/4"). They all do the same thing.
I've used three different brands of labels. (Avery turned out the worst. I
actually am sending them samples after their request).

SO....can anyone please help me??? I have several projects I need to get
out - I thought after buying a new printer a few weeks ago, that might solve
the problem....

THANKS SO MUCH for any help!

Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

A sheet of labels, in Word, is a table set up with the columns and rows
sized to match the sheet you're printing on. As a test, put borders around
the cells of the table, print onto plain paper, and measure them. Similarly,
measure your sheet of labels. In both cases you're checking the size of the
labels themselves, and the pitch (the distance from the top of one to the
top of the next).

The possible causes are --

1. The sheet of labels is manufactured badly, so the physical labels are out
of spec. I've seen it once with el-cheapo no-brand labels, but never with a
reputable brand like Avery. Measuring will tell you if this is the cause.

2. The print file is being scaled byWord. This happens if you have something
other than 'no scaling' seleted in the Zoom list on the Print dialog (eg
Letter to A4 scaling ro vice versa).

3. The print file is being scaled by the printer driver, as for point 2. The
setting will be somewhere in your Printer properties dialogs, depending on
the type of printer you're using.

4. The sheet is slipping within the printer. Unusual problem anyway, and
unlikely if you've tried several printers.