Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wallace

Default Preserving a long document as a template

I have a long document (100+ pages) in Word 2003 in which the styles are now
set. I want to preserve this document so that no new styles --- whether by
design or user-created through direct formatting --- can be added. I plan to
save this document as a template and protect the styles. Any new styles would
be made by me and only on the template.

Is there anything I should be aware of or should do to accomplish this? Thanks
--
Wallace
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Why as a template? What are other users intended to be able to do with the
document?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Wallace" wrote in message
I have a long document (100+ pages) in Word 2003 in which the styles are
now
set. I want to preserve this document so that no new styles --- whether
by
design or user-created through direct formatting --- can be added. I plan
save this document as a template and protect the styles. Any new styles
would
be made by me and only on the template.

Is there anything I should be aware of or should do to accomplish this?
Thanks
--
Wallace

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wallace

Eventually, nothing. I was looking for a way to preserve the existing styles
and prevent direct formatting and the addition of any user-created styles. I
suppose that can be done by using the protection feature in W2003, but I also
wanted to protect the underlying document structure, so I thought saving the
document as a template would do that.
--
Wallace

"Wallace" wrote in message
I have a long document (100+ pages) in Word 2003 in which the styles are
now
set. I want to preserve this document so that no new styles --- whether
by
design or user-created through direct formatting --- can be added. I plan
save this document as a template and protect the styles. Any new styles
would
be made by me and only on the template.

Is there anything I should be aware of or should do to accomplish this?
Thanks
--
Wallace

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

The purpose of templates is to provide a uniform basis for the repeated
production of documents so I hardly think that saving as a template is
applicable to what you aim to do.

--

"Wallace" wrote in message
I have a long document (100+ pages) in Word 2003 in which the styles are
now
set. I want to preserve this document so that no new styles ---
whether
by
design or user-created through direct formatting --- can be added. I
plan
save this document as a template and protect the styles. Any new styles
would
be made by me and only on the template.

Is there anything I should be aware of or should do to accomplish this?
Thanks
--
Wallace

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor

What you want to do is not possible. Any document you allow a user to see
can be altered.

"Wallace" wrote in message
I have a long document (100+ pages) in Word 2003 in which the
styles are now
set. I want to preserve this document so that no new styles ---
whether by
design or user-created through direct formatting --- can be added.
I plan to
save this document as a template and protect the styles. Any new
styles would
be made by me and only on the template.

Is there anything I should be aware of or should do to accomplish
this? Thanks
--
Wallace

Attaching a template to a document - when opened on other computer westis Microsoft Word Help 3 October 26th 05 03:03 PM
Merge to New Document Template Association Al Mailmerge 2 June 2nd 05 09:11 AM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
FILLIN Field and Word Template -> Blank document :( JMP Microsoft Word Help 11 February 28th 05 08:01 PM
attached a template to a document Corey Formatting Long Documents 0 December 1st 04 07:26 PM