Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Paul Paul is offline

Default Problem with images in text boxes

I have a problem with disappearing text boxes in word.

1. Open a new document.
2. Place a text box somewhere on the page.
3. Insert an image into the text box.
4. Select the image you just inserted.
5. Delete the image.

The entire text box is deleted, instead of just the image, and this is the problem. I would like to keep the text box intact regardless of anything deleted within it. Is there a way to lock down text boxes so this doesn't happen?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

What version of Word? And is the picture "in line with text" or is it in the
graphics layer?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Paul" wrote in message
I have a problem with disappearing text boxes in word.

1. Open a new document. 2. Place a text box somewhere on the page.
3. Insert an image into the text box.
4. Select the image you just inserted.
5. Delete the image.

The entire text box is deleted, instead of just the image, and this is the
problem. I would like to keep the text box intact regardless of anything
deleted within it. Is there a way to lock down text boxes so this doesn't
happen?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I just tried this in Word 2007 and Word 2003. I don't have the problem in
Word 2007, but I do see it in Word 2003. I find that if I insert a space or
some other character before or after the picture (inside the text box), then
select the picture and tap the Delete key, the text box doesn't get deleted.
Not a great solution, but it does seem to work.

--

"Paul" wrote in message
I have a problem with disappearing text boxes in word.

1. Open a new document. 2. Place a text box somewhere on the page.
3. Insert an image into the text box.
4. Select the image you just inserted.
5. Delete the image.

The entire text box is deleted, instead of just the image, and this is the
problem. I would like to keep the text box intact regardless of anything
deleted within it. Is there a way to lock down text boxes so this doesn't
happen?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It's vital, too, in text boxes and frames if you want to be able to format
the text box or frame rather than the graphic. Try selecting a text box or
frame that has no content other than a picture, and you'll see what I mean.

"Paul" wrote in message
I have a problem with disappearing text boxes in word.

1. Open a new document. 2. Place a text box somewhere on the page.
3. Insert an image into the text box.
4. Select the image you just inserted.
5. Delete the image.

The entire text box is deleted, instead of just the image, and this is

the
problem. I would like to keep the text box intact regardless of anything
deleted within it. Is there a way to lock down text boxes so this

doesn't
happen?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

To be in it... yes. But I was allowing for yet another possibility--that the
picture isn't really IN the textbox. If "floating" were the response, then I
would assume that the picture had been grouped together with the text box
and only appeared to be inside it, and would've had a different
answer--i.e., ungroup, then try deleting the picture. :-)

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The picture has to be inline; you can't put wrapped pictures in a text
box.

so
all may benefit.