Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
htolman htolman is offline

Default document modification and accessing earlier versions

I spent 3 hours working on a document. Saved it under one name. Then erased
the information and began working on another assignment in the same document.
Then instead of clicking "save as" I only clicked save and lost the entire
previous document. Is there any way I can get to the version of the document
before the modification?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you have the automatically create backups option set and you have only
saved once, the backup will be the previously saved version, otherwise it is
gone.
This type of use frequently results in such data losses and should be
avoided. Instead save the document as a template and create new documents
from it.

If you have not closed the document at all since starting, save the document
with a new name then you should be able to undo to the point where you
deleted the document content. The undo list is erased when you close the
document.

"htolman" wrote in message
I spent 3 hours working on a document. Saved it under one name. Then
erased
the information and began working on another assignment in the same
document.
Then instead of clicking "save as" I only clicked save and lost the entire
previous document. Is there any way I can get to the version of the
document
before the modification?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Some versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7 come with "shadow copy"
functionality. Assuming you have this functionality enabled, you might have
backup copies stored on your machine. You would have to check in Windows
Explorer.

(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...adow-copy.aspx)

Yves