Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SusanLRConsultant SusanLRConsultant is offline

Default Turn off STYLE UPDATING!!

Word 2002 and 2003 allowed me to turn off the automatic style updating
feature that's so hated in Word. But I can't find out how to turn it off in
this new Word 2007. I DO NOT choose "Update [style] to Match Selection," but
it continues to do it anyway. Word 2003 was defaulted to do this
automatically, but I could turn it off in the Style Pane -- but it's not a
choice in the new abbreviated pane. I'm at a loss.
Susan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Do you mean the automatically update option of the style dialog -
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm
or the Autoformat as you type options, the defaults of which are both much
as they were in 2003 and earlier? You can access the latter from Word
Options Proofing Autocorrect Options Autoformat as you type.

SusanLRConsultant wrote:
Word 2002 and 2003 allowed me to turn off the automatic style updating
feature that's so hated in Word. But I can't find out how to turn it
off in this new Word 2007. I DO NOT choose "Update [style] to Match
Selection," but it continues to do it anyway. Word 2003 was
defaulted to do this automatically, but I could turn it off in the
Style Pane -- but it's not a choice in the new abbreviated pane. I'm
at a loss.
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SusanLRConsultant SusanLRConsultant is offline

Graham, I appreciate your prompt response, but you have once again included a
document that applies to Word 2002 and not to 2007. Are there any
contemporary documents related to this new version? I already have all
"Apply" checkboxes in the AutoFormat and AutoFormat As You Type tabs in the
AutoCorrect dialog box cleared. There's a choice called Preserve Styles on
the AutoFormat tab, but there's no help topic for it, nor does help open up
when I drag the Help ? to it. Is this the culprit. I've been working with,
documenting, training, using Word since it was a DOS program (and that's 22
years), and I've never been so frustrated.
Thank, Graham,
Susan

SusanLRConsultant wrote:
Word 2002 and 2003 allowed me to turn off the automatic style updating
feature that's so hated in Word. But I can't find out how to turn it
off in this new Word 2007. I DO NOT choose "Update [style] to Match
Selection," but it continues to do it anyway. Word 2003 was
defaulted to do this automatically, but I could turn it off in the
Style Pane -- but it's not a choice in the new abbreviated pane. I'm
at a loss.
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Normal is the only style that doesn't still have this check box in Word
2007. Or perhaps you're referring to the "Automatically update document
styles" check box in the old Tools | Templates and Add-ins dialog? You can
find that one at Developer | Templates | Document Template.

"SusanLRConsultant" wrote in
message ...
Word 2002 and 2003 allowed me to turn off the automatic style updating
feature that's so hated in Word. But I can't find out how to turn it off
in
this new Word 2007. I DO NOT choose "Update [style] to Match Selection,"
but
it continues to do it anyway. Word 2003 was defaulted to do this
automatically, but I could turn it off in the Style Pane -- but it's not a
choice in the new abbreviated pane. I'm at a loss.
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
petersk petersk is offline

I'm having the SAME problem. Someone PLEASE help us, because this is
incredibly annoying!
Kurt

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Normal is the only style that doesn't still have this check box in Word
2007. Or perhaps you're referring to the "Automatically update document
styles" check box in the old Tools | Templates and Add-ins dialog? You can
find that one at Developer | Templates | Document Template.

"SusanLRConsultant" wrote in
message ...
Word 2002 and 2003 allowed me to turn off the automatic style updating
feature that's so hated in Word. But I can't find out how to turn it off
in
this new Word 2007. I DO NOT choose "Update [style] to Match Selection,"
but
it continues to do it anyway. Word 2003 was defaulted to do this
automatically, but I could turn it off in the Style Pane -- but it's not a
choice in the new abbreviated pane. I'm at a loss.
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The dialogs for Word 2002 and 2007 are virtually identical. As Suzanne has
indicated elsewhere in this thread, only the Normal style does not have the
automatically update check box. Right click a style and select Modify.

SusanLRConsultant wrote:
Word 2002 and 2003 allowed me to turn off the automatic style
updating feature that's so hated in Word. But I can't find out how
to turn it off in this new Word 2007. I DO NOT choose "Update
[style] to Match Selection," but it continues to do it anyway.
Word 2003 was defaulted to do this automatically, but I could turn
it off in the Style Pane -- but it's not a choice in the new
abbreviated pane. I'm at a loss.
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To turn off the automatic updating of the Normal style in Word 2007, you
will have to use a macro:

ActiveDocument.Styles(wdStyleNormal).Automatically Update = False

You can then use the "New documents based on this template" option in the
Modify Style dialog box to transfer the modified Normal style to the
attached template.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

SusanLRConsultant wrote:
Word 2002 and 2003 allowed me to turn off the automatic style updating
feature that's so hated in Word. But I can't find out how to turn it
off in this new Word 2007. I DO NOT choose "Update [style] to Match
Selection," but it continues to do it anyway. Word 2003 was
defaulted to do this automatically, but I could turn it off in the
Style Pane -- but it's not a choice in the new abbreviated pane. I'm
at a loss.
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
petersk petersk is offline

The same problem is:
When formatting a paragraph, MS Word reformats EVERY paragraph of the same
style, causing ad hoc reformatting to be impossibly annoying. I tried
turning off "WORD OPTIONS:Proofing:AutoCorrect:AutoFormat as You Typeall
options below "Apply as you type") to no avail.

Kurt

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
petersk petersk is offline

Where would that be posted?
I only see conjecture and guessing in the posts I look at... no conclusive
evidence of a solution.
Kurt

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
petersk petersk is offline

Oh, I didn't see the "macro" suggestion posted by Stefan. I have since
muddled through and added the "Developer" tab to the fluent interface to
access the ability to have macro editting and added it.
Kurt

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Updating Normal style does not update all styles in document ChristyL Microsoft Word Help 1 June 16th 08 05:59 PM
Turn off updating date fields MrJuggles Microsoft Word Help 13 July 18th 07 03:07 PM
Automatically updating style problems Ellen Microsoft Word Help 2 May 22nd 07 06:25 PM
updating a style DianaH New Users 3 July 25th 06 10:45 AM
Can't uncheck automatic style updating alex Microsoft Word Help 2 August 18th 05 09:00 PM