gfe

Default red words underlined

I opened a document in Word 2000 yesterday and started typing a sentence.
When I looked up, halfway through the sentence my words were now being typed
in BOLD, RED and UNDERLINED. Could I have accidentally hit some key to make
it do all three things (like a redline document)? If so, what because all I
did was start typing and it was black and three or four words later it was
like I described above. Thanks.
RKM

The document probably had the "track changes" feature turned on, which shows
all the changes different people have made to the text. I don't have Word
2000 handy, but in Word 2003, you can toggle track changes with Tools Track
Changes

"gfe" wrote:

I opened a document in Word 2000 yesterday and started typing a sentence.
When I looked up, halfway through the sentence my words were now being typed
in BOLD, RED and UNDERLINED. Could I have accidentally hit some key to make
it do all three things (like a redline document)? If so, what because all I
did was start typing and it was black and three or four words later it was
like I described above. Thanks.

Jay Freedman

I'm not completely sure it's Track Changes, since bold/red/underlined
isn't the default format for inserted text. It could be that the
format was changed, or this could be some character style being
applied.

To tell whether Track Changes is on, look at the status bar at the
bottom of the window. If the letters TRK are black instead of gray,
then it's on. You can turn it off with the Tools Track Changes menu
item or just double-click the TRK letters. Besides doing that, you'll
also need to "accept" the existing changes to get rid of the
formatting. Click the down arrow next to the Accept Change button on
the Reviewing toolbar, and select Accept All Changes in Document.

If Track Changes is not on, press Shift+F1 and click somewhere in the
bold/red/underlined text. In the Reveal Formatting task pane that
appears, look for the bold, red, and underlined items to see where
they come from. Then in the Styles and Formatting task pane, under
"Formatting of selected text", click the Select All button, click the
down arrow next to the style name, and select "Clear formatting".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman