Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
eldridge201

Default word is crashing or displaying error messages.

This may be due to a change of my template so keep that in mind. I have
tried to read about 25 different threads already and a lot of them seem to
refer me back to either faulty registry keys or the normal.dot file being
corrupt.

Problem: I am trying to edit or "keep working on" a Win XP - 2000 word
document that I have already saved with pictures and it crashes or says that
it has encountered a problem and has to close as soon as I do the exact
following:

1. Open the existing saved file.
2. Select text box that I would like to format like the one that I have
already changed in the same document.
3. Change the fill color with a custom color, change the horizontal
alignment to center, and wrap behind text on the layout colors and layout
tabs.
4. Once I have done all of this, the text box changes color and aligns
centered with my column.
5. The box is still automatically selected and I need to nudge it up a
little to align with some other text so I use my CTRL keys and hit my arrow
buttons.
6. Lastly, everything is perfect up until this point because it looks just
as I want it to and is aligned exactly where I want but, as soon as I click
my left mouse key (to start on something else), the dreaded error message
keeps popping up and closes windows.

I have tried restarting and closing many times with no luck. I have been
working on this for days and have to get this completed so I can open my new
pub and restaurant. Sorry for the long question but, I wanted to be
detailed. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cooz

Hi eldridge201,

It may be possible that your document is corrupt. Please try the following:

Open the document.
Press Ctrl-A to select all of it.
Press Shift-left arrow to exclude the last paragraph.
Copy and paste to a new document.
Use this document.

Word stores document settings in the last paragraph - this is where
corruption tends to creep in as well. With a little luck, everything will be
back to normal this way.

Good luck,
Cooz
--
PS: If this is a satisfactory answer to your question, and you are logged in
via Microsoft, please press the "Yes" button next to "Did this post answer