Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LIOTB LIOTB is offline

Default Word 2007 not installing correctly

I have vista 32bit and Word 2007
When I install word:
1. the icon/short cut in the desktopright clickNewWord Document is not
there.
2. Then the regular Word Icons (in folders, on the desktop) don't look right.
3. Then when I try to open a word document by clicking it's icon an error
message pops up and saying, that the file path was wrong and gave the file
path. It opens just a blank document where in I have to go to open files and
search for and open the document I want within the word document itself.

I have reinstalled many times and I get the exact same 3 things. I cleaned
my registry and uninstalled and turned off ALL my antivirals software.

What do I do to fix this? Thank you.

LIOTB
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Try repairing the installation, via Office button | Word Options; in the
Resources category, click Diagnose and follow the instructions.

~~~
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"LIOTB" wrote:

I have vista 32bit and Word 2007
When I install word:
1. the icon/short cut in the desktopright clickNewWord Document is not
there.
2. Then the regular Word Icons (in folders, on the desktop) don't look right.
3. Then when I try to open a word document by clicking it's icon an error
message pops up and saying, that the file path was wrong and gave the file
path. It opens just a blank document where in I have to go to open files and
search for and open the document I want within the word document itself.

I have reinstalled many times and I get the exact same 3 things. I cleaned
my registry and uninstalled and turned off ALL my antivirals software.

What do I do to fix this? Thank you.

LIOTB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LIOTB LIOTB is offline

Ms. Blom,

I did that many times. I didn't find any problems. Besides I wouldn't trust
it anyway. Why would a broken program fix or find another broken program,
since the suite was installed together. (Suite Office Pro 2007)

Aaron

"LIOTB" wrote:

I have vista 32bit and Word 2007
When I install word:
1. the icon/short cut in the desktopright clickNewWord Document is not
there.
2. Then the regular Word Icons (in folders, on the desktop) don't look right.
3. Then when I try to open a word document by clicking it's icon an error
message pops up and saying, that the file path was wrong and gave the file
path. It opens just a blank document where in I have to go to open files and
search for and open the document I want within the word document itself.

I have reinstalled many times and I get the exact same 3 things. I cleaned
my registry and uninstalled and turned off ALL my antivirals software.

What do I do to fix this? Thank you.

LIOTB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Repairing the program should fix the registry entries that are causing the
problems relating to file association. The program is almost certainly not
'broken' - it is the file association in the registry that is incomplete.
First see how to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm and if that doesn't
fix it select a document in Windows Explorer, right click and choose Open
with...

From the ensuing dialog select Word (winword.exe) and check the box to
always open with this application.

"LIOTB" wrote:

I have vista 32bit and Word 2007
When I install word:
1. the icon/short cut in the desktopright clickNewWord Document
is not there.
2. Then the regular Word Icons (in folders, on the desktop) don't
look right.
3. Then when I try to open a word document by clicking it's icon an
error message pops up and saying, that the file path was wrong and
gave the file path. It opens just a blank document where in I have
to go to open files and search for and open the document I want
within the word document itself.

I have reinstalled many times and I get the exact same 3 things. I
cleaned my registry and uninstalled and turned off ALL my
antivirals software.

What do I do to fix this? Thank you.

LIOTB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LIOTB LIOTB is offline

Mr Mayor,

That does not work either. It does not 'see' file paths. As I said I have
already tried to fix the registry. This does not work.

Thanks though,

LIOTB

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Repairing the program should fix the registry entries that are causing the
problems relating to file association. The program is almost certainly not
'broken' - it is the file association in the registry that is incomplete.
First see how to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm and if that doesn't
fix it select a document in Windows Explorer, right click and choose Open
with...

From the ensuing dialog select Word (winword.exe) and check the box to

"LIOTB" wrote:

I have vista 32bit and Word 2007
When I install word:
1. the icon/short cut in the desktopright clickNewWord Document
is not there.
2. Then the regular Word Icons (in folders, on the desktop) don't
look right.
3. Then when I try to open a word document by clicking it's icon an
error message pops up and saying, that the file path was wrong and
gave the file path. It opens just a blank document where in I have
to go to open files and search for and open the document I want
within the word document itself.

I have reinstalled many times and I get the exact same 3 things. I
cleaned my registry and uninstalled and turned off ALL my
antivirals software.

What do I do to fix this? Thank you.

LIOTB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Feel free to use my first name; however, if you prefer title + last name,
"Mr" would be appropriate.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"LIOTB" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Then did you try Graham's suggestion to manually choose winword.exe as the
application which should open Word documents? That should work, if nothing
else.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Repairing the program should fix the registry entries that are causing
the
problems relating to file association. The program is almost certainly
not
'broken' - it is the file association in the registry that is incomplete.
First see how to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm and if that
doesn't
fix it select a document in Windows Explorer, right click and choose Open
with...

From the ensuing dialog select Word (winword.exe) and check the box to

"LIOTB" wrote:

I have vista 32bit and Word 2007
When I install word:
1. the icon/short cut in the desktopright clickNewWord Document
is not there.
2. Then the regular Word Icons (in folders, on the desktop) don't
look right.
3. Then when I try to open a word document by clicking it's icon an
error message pops up and saying, that the file path was wrong and
gave the file path. It opens just a blank document where in I have
to go to open files and search for and open the document I want
within the word document itself.

I have reinstalled many times and I get the exact same 3 things. I
cleaned my registry and uninstalled and turned off ALL my
antivirals software.

What do I do to fix this? Thank you.

LIOTB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LIOTB LIOTB is offline

Mr. Blom,

Yes, I reminded him that in my original post I said file pathes are not
recognized so it does not matter if it is the default. It already 'sees' them
as "Word", but just the icons are strange "Word" Icons.

Thank you,
Aaron

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Repairing the program should fix the registry entries that are causing
the
problems relating to file association. The program is almost certainly
not
'broken' - it is the file association in the registry that is incomplete.
First see how to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm and if that
doesn't
fix it select a document in Windows Explorer, right click and choose Open
with...

From the ensuing dialog select Word (winword.exe) and check the box to

"LIOTB" wrote:

I have vista 32bit and Word 2007
When I install word:
1. the icon/short cut in the desktopright clickNewWord Document
is not there.
2. Then the regular Word Icons (in folders, on the desktop) don't
look right.
3. Then when I try to open a word document by clicking it's icon an
error message pops up and saying, that the file path was wrong and
gave the file path. It opens just a blank document where in I have
to go to open files and search for and open the document I want
within the word document itself.

I have reinstalled many times and I get the exact same 3 things. I
cleaned my registry and uninstalled and turned off ALL my
antivirals software.

What do I do to fix this? Thank you.

LIOTB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LIOTB LIOTB is offline

Mr. Blom,

I apologize for that. I think you for the help up to this point. Do you or
do you know of anyone else that be of assistance?

Again I am sorry and most grateful.

LIOTB

"LIOTB" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Apology accepted. Anyone can make a mistake. :-)

Unfortunately, I have no more suggestions. I believe Graham and I covered
the common culprits in our previous replies. Maybe you could try asking in
the microsoft.public.word.application.errors newsgroup?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"LIOTB" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LIOTB LIOTB is offline

Mr. Mayor,

I have tried these things, several times. I have installed and reinstalled.
It keeps asking me if I have typed in the file path correctly and then shows
it to me. Also, the desktop context menunewdoes not have a Word document
option. Then the icons are not right for the normal Word documents.

Any other help would be great.

LIOTB

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Repairing the program should fix the registry entries that are causing the
problems relating to file association. The program is almost certainly not
'broken' - it is the file association in the registry that is incomplete.
First see how to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm and if that doesn't
fix it select a document in Windows Explorer, right click and choose Open
with...

From the ensuing dialog select Word (winword.exe) and check the box to

"LIOTB" wrote:

I have vista 32bit and Word 2007
When I install word:
1. the icon/short cut in the desktopright clickNewWord Document
is not there.
2. Then the regular Word Icons (in folders, on the desktop) don't
look right.
3. Then when I try to open a word document by clicking it's icon an
error message pops up and saying, that the file path was wrong and
gave the file path. It opens just a blank document where in I have
to go to open files and search for and open the document I want
within the word document itself.

I have reinstalled many times and I get the exact same 3 things. I
cleaned my registry and uninstalled and turned off ALL my
antivirals software.

What do I do to fix this? Thank you.

LIOTB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LIOTB LIOTB is offline

Thanks again Mr. Blom, but nothing is working. I suppose I will have to do a
destructive restore with windows. Why does windows insist on bad products and
extortion to help people fix problems they could fix before they release junk.