Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Word Confused Word Confused is offline

Default Word Document Layout

I wrote a previous post a few days ago and my issue has not been solved. I
wanted to follow-up with another question. When I open up a Word document
that was emailed to me containing a little bit of formatting, the document
does not look like it's supposed to. The document has been stretched longer,
some text in text boxes is not completely visible on my screen. I know the
file is OK, because I can forward it on to others and it opens fine. It was
created on Word 2003 and I am opening it in Word 2003. I have uninstalled
and reinstalled Office. In my previous post, somebody recommended a new
print driver. Does a print driver have anything to do with how it is viewed
on my screen? Any recommended print drivers that would most likely work? I
have a feeling it is still something else. All the formatting and fonts
match up from how it was created. If there is anything else somebody can
recommend, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

-Dan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

The printer driver is used to display the document as it will look when
printed on the screen - that's how you get WYSIWYG in Word. If your printer
driver is corrupt or incorrect then the way the page displays on the screen.

The printer driver that will work the best is the one for the printer you
will use for printing the document.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Word Confused" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Word Confused Word Confused is offline

I have saved the file to my computer, and then open it. I usually view the
document under print view. Are there any generic print drivers out there
that I could try that might help? My laptop is not hooked up to a printer
99% opf the time. Otherwise my default driver is for an HP LasetJet 3050
Series PCL 6. Does this mean anything? Thank you for all of your hlp and
ideas!

-Dan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The printer driver definitely has an effect on the display, but if you are
opening this document directly from the attachment, could it be that it's
opening in Reading Layout view?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

What printer do you use 1% of the time, or what printer would you print your
documents on? That's the one you want to install and set as the default.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The printer driver definitely has an effect on the display, but if you
are
opening this document directly from the attachment, could it be that it's
opening in Reading Layout view?

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you're using a different printer driver from the one in effect when the
document was created, there will usually be some differences; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm. But there shouldn't be
any real *distortion.* If you can't see text boxes, make sure that "Drawing
objects" is checked on the Print tab of Tools | Options.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The printer driver definitely has an effect on the display, but if you

are
opening this document directly from the attachment, could it be that

it's
opening in Reading Layout view?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Word Confused" wrote in

message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Word Confused Word Confused is offline

I use the driver that came with my printer. However, this document was
created elsewhere from somebody using a different printer and driver. Do you
recommend I try loading the driver of the printer he uses? Thank you!

-Dan