Amy

Default a mode where you ADD auto features to a default blank slate

Office products, especially Word, do so much automatically that it often
behaves in unexpected ways and it is not clear how to "turn off" those many
features. I would LOVE to be able to click on a button and switch the default
mode to a COMPLETELY blank slate, where NOTHING would be done automatically
except those things I purposefully turned on.

In word, for example, you could start from a bare-bones mode that didn't do
anything except display your typing in a paper with 1-inch margins. From
there, you could add proportional spacing, paragraph protocols, turn on spell
check, grammar check, automatic list formats, etc......

Years ago, I had a word processing program called "Write Now" that was
arranged this way - it didn't do anything "fancy" until you told it to. This
meant that you could deal with features as you needed them and learned about
them. It made trouble-shooting SO MUCH EASIER.

Perhaps a "set up wizard" could be written that would ask you whether or not
you want to use the various features? Clearly, it would take a long time to
go through it, but it could also act as a mini-tutorial. For each feature,
there could be a brief explanation and then you could choose to turn it on or
off or set the default setting.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Jay Freedman

Hi Amy,

Have a look at these articles:

http://www.word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/Bend/BendWord.htm
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...AutoFormat.htm
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 08:47:59 -0700, Amy
wrote:

[...]

While these articles go a long way toward helping users get rid of automatic
features, I think Amy's suggestion of a "bare bones" operating state, with a
Setup Wizard, is a good one.

news

wrote:

[...]

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the

"I

this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...mid=6ef1e636-a

a89-4b0a-957c-a994d40f5223&dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagemen t