Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Debbie Debbie is offline

Default Creating Word forms in 2007 for users in 2003 and 2007

I'm trying to create a form for my client in Word 2007. Users will access the
form through a template on SharePoint. Some of them use 2007 and some 2003. I
have several questions regarding this form.

1. Can I successfully use a combination of legacy controls AND 2007
controls? Right now (good or bad) I'm using a combination. Of course, I'm
having problems, hence the post.

2. When I save the document, how should it be saved so that both sets of
users can access it AND save it? Also, when they save it to submit the form,
how should it be saved so it CAN be modified if necessary? Right now if we
save it as a .doc or .docx, the 2007 fields become static.

3. A question about formatting. (I hope I can explain it). I have set up a
bullet list with 2007 controls. The text that shows in the document is greyed
out slightly, which is fine. What I can't seem to control is what the text
looks like when it's typed in the form. Sometimes its bold and black,
sometimes its bold and grey, and sometimes it is how I want it which is black
and "normal". How do I control the text as it will appear in the filled out
form?

4. I have several fields that are text only, and I chose the legacy text
controls rather than the 2007 controls. When I pull up the form to fill it
in, the grey boxes remain around the text. How do I get rid of them?

Thanks in advance for whatever help can be offered.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Debbie wrote:
I'm trying to create a form for my client in Word 2007. Users will
access the form through a template on SharePoint. Some of them use
2007 and some 2003. I have several questions regarding this form.

1. Can I successfully use a combination of legacy controls AND 2007
controls? Right now (good or bad) I'm using a combination. Of course,
I'm having problems, hence the post.

Word 2003 cannot use the 2007 controls so avoid them. You need to keep the
document as close to Word 2003 format as possible - in fact I would ensure
this by building the form in 2003 as you appear to have it available. Avoid
also the Word 2007 fonts as not all 2003 users will have them and they
display poorly in 2003 under Windows XP (without Cleartype).

If you are working with legacy fields in 2007, you will find
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Classic%20Form%20Controls.htm useful.

2. When I save the document, how should it be saved so that both sets
of users can access it AND save it? Also, when they save it to submit
the form, how should it be saved so it CAN be modified if necessary?
Right now if we save it as a .doc or .docx, the 2007 fields become
static.

Create the form as a Word 2003 template and create new 2003 format documents
from it.

3. A question about formatting. (I hope I can explain it). I have set
up a bullet list with 2007 controls. The text that shows in the
document is greyed out slightly, which is fine. What I can't seem to
control is what the text looks like when it's typed in the form.
Sometimes its bold and black, sometimes its bold and grey, and
sometimes it is how I want it which is black and "normal". How do I
control the text as it will appear in the filled out form?

See my comment above about fonts

4. I have several fields that are text only, and I chose the legacy
text controls rather than the 2007 controls. When I pull up the form
to fill it in, the grey boxes remain around the text. How do I get
rid of them?

The grey background is a field shading option set in Tools Options View
in 2003 and Word Options Advanced Show Document Content in 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deborah R Deborah R is offline

Graham, thank you for your response and assistance.

1. I don't have access to 2003, but I can certainly avoid the 2007 controls.
The only one I'm really attached to is the "calendar" control, but I will
just have to do without it. Your solution regarding the font is well
noted, but that isn't my problem. The font I'm using is Tahoma...nothing new
there. My issue, which now is a non issue, is that when I use the 2007
controls, I have the opportunity to have "placeholder" text that appears in
the form. That text appears slightly greyed out to the user. When they click
in the field to enter information, the text then turns black. Several fields
work just fine while others continue to be grey. I can't determine any
difference in the field codes , so I can't figure out what to change. Weird,
huh? I took note of your link and have saved it as a favorite...thank you!

2. I will create the form in a Word 2003 format. thanks!

3. See my comment above.

4. Unfortunately, your suggestion isn't removing the grey box from the form.
I have ensured that highlighting isn't on, and that paragraph shading is set
to "No color". any other ideas?

Thanks so much!

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Debbie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deborah R Deborah R is offline

Oh...I should mention what I did in Word Options. Perhaps I didn't change the
right setting.

Word Options
Show Document Content
Field Shading: Never

That seemed to me the only setting that mattered. Was that what you had in
mind?

Thanks again.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Debbie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think there's a separate control for field shading in forms. When you look
at the Legacy Forms controls, note the one that is labeled Form Field
Shading. You need to turn that off.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Debbie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Sorry, I had forgotten about that one
As for the calendar control - see http://www.gmayor.com/popup_calendar.htm

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Debbie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deborah R Deborah R is offline

Thank you, Graham. I will certainly give that a read. I appreciate all the
help I've received here!