Becicat

Default spell check underlining first word in every line

my spell check is underlining the first word in each line irregardless of its
not being the beginning of a sentence. It is not underlining words that are
properly capitalized at the beginning of the line. What do I need to do to
correct this?
Greg Maxey

Becicat,

I suspect that you have Captitalize the first letter of sentences turned of
in your AutoCorrect settings and it is your grammar check marking your
oversight capitalizing the first letter of a sentence.

To correct, you probably need to stop pressing the enter key when you reach
the end of a line. Word is not a typewriter. The enter key is not a
carraige return. It is a command key that instructs Word to start a new
paragprahp. Since new paragraphs start with sentences the sentence must
start with a capital letter or be flagged by the grammar checker.

See:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/conc...ion/index.html
--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

Becicat wrote:
my spell check is underlining the first word in each line
irregardless of its not being the beginning of a sentence. It is not
underlining words that are properly capitalized at the beginning of
the line. What do I need to do to correct this?

IanRoy

Hi, Becicat;
How are you going from one line to the next when typing? Ar you letting word
wrap handle it, or are you pressing enter? The latter starts a new paragraph,
with an initial capital by default.
Regards,
IanRoy.

"Becicat" wrote:

my spell check is underlining the first word in each line irregardless of its
not being the beginning of a sentence. It is not underlining words that are
properly capitalized at the beginning of the line. What do I need to do to
correct this?

Becicat

I also don't have "capitalize the first word in sentence."

Greg Maxey

Becicat,

I was presumtuous to assume that you were doing something wrong. I'm sorry.

Is it the red wavy line or a green wavy line that is appearing under the
Word?

--

Becicat wrote:
my spell check is underlining the first word in each line
irregardless of its not being the beginning of a sentence. It is
not underlining words that are properly capitalized at the
beginning of
the line. What do I need to do to correct this?

IanRoy

Hi, Becicat;
Sorry for my hasty assumption. I've fiddled around with my settings and I
can't get my copy of Word to behave as you describe. I also couldn't find
anything on the knowledge base.
-IanRoy.

"Becicat" wrote:

my spell check is underlining the first word in each line irregardless of its
not being the beginning of a sentence. It is not underlining words that are
properly capitalized at the beginning of the line. What do I need to do to
correct this?

Becicat

Dear Ian,

It doesn't do it consistantly...I just got my computer back from the shop
less than a week ago. Who knows.

Thanks,
Becicat

"Becicat" wrote:

my spell check is underlining the first word in each line irregardless of its
not being the beginning of a sentence. It is not underlining words that are
properly capitalized at the beginning of the line. What do I need to do to
correct this?

Greg Maxey

Becicat,

The green wavy line is a grammar check tag and the symptom is a inproperly
capitalized sentence. If you display non printing characters CTRL+Shift+*
does a paragraph mark appear at the end of the line immediately preceeding
the word flagged with the green line?

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

Becicat wrote:
Dear Greg,

It's a green wavy line.

Becicat

Becicat wrote:
my spell check is underlining the first word in each line
irregardless of its not being the beginning of a sentence. It is
not underlining words that are properly capitalized at the
beginning of
the line. What do I need to do to correct this?

Graham Mayor

Use the measures described at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm to reset Word to
defaults. There is probably a minor corruption in either normal.dot or more
likely the registry key that controls the options in question.