Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Scott Meyers

Default Chapter numbering with manual line break

I'd like to have Word number my chapters with the chapter number in small caps
on its own line followed by the text of the chapter title. Like this:

CHAPTER ONE
This is the Chapter Title

I can get Word to generate the chapter number the way I'd like (except for the
small caps, which is greyed out for some reason on the font options for the
chapter autonumber, but that's okay, I can just knock the point size down to
where I want it), but I can't figure out how to tell Word to put a line break
after the chapter number. Typing Shift-Enter actually puts a manual line break
in the autonumber box, but the resulting chapter still appears like this:

CHAPTER ONE This is the Chapter Title

Anybody know how to tell Word what I'd like it to do? I'm using Word 2002.

Thanks,

Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom

Don't try to insert the line break via the numbering format. Instead,
you can insert it manually before typing the text of the heading. In
the table of contents, the line break will be ignored, unless you add
the \x switch to the TOC field code (see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/TOCSwitches.htm).

Alternatively, you can use two styles: one for the numbering and one
for the heading text. You can use the Heading 1 style for the numbered
part. Set the "Style for following paragraph" to your "heading text"
style.

Using two styles is convenient if you want to exclude the word
"CHAPTER" from your TOC entries. As you create the table of contents,
omit the Heading 1 style and include the "heading text" style. Add the
desired numbering format to the TOC 1 style.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Scott Meyers" wrote in message
[...]