Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Darren D Darren D is offline

Default need .doc datasource for word 2007

I have a number of customers each of which have hundreds of documents
currently configured with Word 2003 using the .doc data source. Is there any
way of making Word 2007 use these datasources? When I try to open and/or
create a new document all I can seem to use is Access database datasources.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Word 2007 can certainly use a Word document as a data source. Where is it
that you are getting the indication that only an Access database can be
used? By default the Select Data Source dialog opens with the Files of Type
pulldown showing "All Data Sources (*.odc; *.mdb, etc.etc" selected and in
that case Word documents (*.docx; *.doc; *.docm) that are located in the
folder will be displayed.

By selecting Word Documents in the Files of Type pulldown, you can restrict
the display of potential data sources to only those types of files.

Your problem may be however that there are no Word documents located in the
folder whose contents are display and you need to navigate to the folder in
which your datasources are located by using the "Look in" pulldown at the
top of the dialog.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Darren D" Darren wrote in message
I have a number of customers each of which have hundreds of documents
currently configured with Word 2003 using the .doc data source. Is there
any
way of making Word 2007 use these datasources? When I try to open and/or
create a new document all I can seem to use is Access database
datasources.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Matthew S. Matthew S. is offline

I know exactly what Darren is talking about. He means that when creating a
new data source, when saving this file the only option in the drop down is
*.mdb, which office 2003 (pro or basic) seems unable to use in word as a data
source. I was going to enter my own thread but I'm hoping this will suffice!
thanks!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You don't have to use the dialog to create a data source in any version of
Word. A simple table will suffice. If you start from an existing 2007 MDB
file, you can add the old MailMerge Helper to the QAT
(http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm ) and if you edit the
data file from that it will be converted to a Word Table for you. Save as
Word 97-2003 format which can be used as a data source for either version of
Word.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Darren D[_2_] Darren D[_2_] is offline

Thanks Graham,
I don't use the mailmerge helper your document talks about but it did show
me how to add the tools I need. Although they don't know it, my customers
who use mailmerge for their docuemnts thank you as well. No one thought the
idea of changing thousands of documents would be fun.
Darren D