Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MaryKC MaryKC is offline

Default Another save changes to template when no changes made issue

I've been working (or is it battling?) with Word for 14 years and have seen a
lot of strange things that I can eventually figure out on my own, but last
week I hit a new problem I have never encountered before.

Over a year ago I created two custom templates for project C that we have
saved to a server that anyone in our team can access. For the past year, no
problem. Then last week one of my colleagues sought my help when he was
having trouble opening a document that was attached to one of the project C
templates on the server. At first, I determined that the problem was he must
have attempted to make some change to the template attached to the document
while he was working at home without access to the server over the weekend,
as we have had this issue crop up from time to time. Sure enough, as soon as
he returned to the office and connected to the network, the document would
open for him. If only that was the end of the problem!

If I hadn't seen it for myself, I would have thought it wasn't
possible...even though the only change he made to the document was to open
Tools-Templates and Add-ins to verify that the document was attached to the
template on the server, when he went to close the document he was prompted to
save changes to the project C template also. Upon further investigation, I
learned this has been happening to him only with templates for project C, not
for templates for any other projects. I had him try attaching the document
to a copy of the template on his own computer instead of the server--same
prompt came up. I had him simply open and close a document without making
any changes to it--same prompt again! If he changed the attached template to
his Normal template, the prompt went away, but once he reattached to the
project C template, it was back.

I told him I would investigate and we left it at he should click No whenver
he saw the template prompt. I thought this was an issue only on his
computer, but in discussing the problem with another colleague, she realized
she had encountered that prompt also with documents attached to project C
templates. To further baffle me, my male colleague is using Word 2003 while
my female colleague is using Word 2007.

I have checked around and so far no one else in the office has encountered
this strange prompting when working with project C template documents (I
dread that may change) and so I want to nip this problem in the bud. It's
frustrating because I am not able to work it out on my own computer since I
am not getting the prompt myself, and it defies all the logic of Word that I
have learned over the years. Why after a year has this odd behaviour
developed? I am not aware of any add-ins on either of their computers that
could be a factor. I am not the IT person for our office, but I am the Word
"guru" everyone looks to for answers, and it frustrates me to not be able to
answe this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.