Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rune Wentzel Helms Rune Wentzel Helms is offline

Default How do I stop Word from starting new words with capital after numb

When I write a date (eg 30. august) Word automatically changes the first
letter after the period into a capital. This is very good if you are english,
but i danish months are not written with capitals.

I don't want to turn the autocorrect function for first words in sentences -
only when it's following a number. It was possible in earlier editions of
Word, but when I try to add an exception for a number, the "add" button stays
grey. Only if I write letters can I add it.

Anyone know how to work around this?

Sincerely Rune Helms
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Turn off the relevant capitalization options on the AutoCorrect tab of the
AutoCorrect dialog box.

To open the dialog box:

- In Word 2007, click the Office button, and then click Word Options. In the
Proofing category, click the AutoCorrect Options button.

- In Word 2003, click Tools | AutoCorrect Options.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rune Wentzel Helms" wrote in
message ...
When I write a date (eg 30. august) Word automatically changes the first
letter after the period into a capital. This is very good if you are
english,
but i danish months are not written with capitals.

I don't want to turn the autocorrect function for first words in
sentences -
only when it's following a number. It was possible in earlier editions of
Word, but when I try to add an exception for a number, the "add" button
stays
grey. Only if I write letters can I add it.

Anyone know how to work around this?

Sincerely Rune Helms

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Only in Word 2007 or much earlier versions will this be necessary. Word does
not capitalize the first letter of a sentence following a number in Word
2003 or seveeral earlier versions.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thank you for the clarification.

FWIW, I don't pay much attention to the capitalization options, probably
because I turn them off as soon as I have installed a new version of Word. I
find them annoying rather than helpful.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I've actually gotten lazy enough to rely on them to some extent. I turn off
the "first letter of a sentence" one when I'm working on a dictionary-type
document (or anything else that requires a lot of uncapped paragraph
starts), but I find I miss it in the other documents I'm working on at the
same time.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rune Wentzel Helms Rune Wentzel Helms is offline

Default How do I stop Word from starting new words with capital after

Excactly. But as my workplace use Word 2007 I have no choice in version.

However I take it, there is no workaround for this problem? - as I said I
don't want to turn off the capitalization option completely.

- Rune Helms

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" skrev:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The issue is not that Word capitalises after a number (which it still
doesn't appear to) but that it capitalises after a full stop (period) as in
your original example. You have a number of options, but the simplest by far
is to insert dates using a macro e.g.

Sub InsertLowerCaseDate()
With Selection
.InsertAfter LCase(Format(Date, Format:="d" & "." & Chr(160) & _
"MMMM" & Chr(160) & "yyyy"))
End With
End Sub

Then the prohblem doesn't arise.

See also http://www.gmayor.com/popup_calendar.htm

wrote in message
When I write a date (eg 30. august) Word automatically changes the
first letter after the period into a capital. This is very good if
you are english,
but i danish months are not written with capitals.

I don't want to turn the autocorrect function for first words in
sentences -
only when it's following a number. It was possible in earlier
editions of Word, but when I try to add an exception for a number,
the "add" button stays
grey. Only if I write letters can I add it.

Anyone know how to work around this?

Sincerely Rune Helms

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would have thought that the Danish version of Word would have some
compensation for this since it is clearly a very common scenario. I suppose
that 1., 2., 3., etc., could be entered as Exceptions.

http://word.mvps.org