Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Shari Shari is offline

Default Format entire table

Could anyone explain how to format an entire table, rather than just a single
row?
In old Microsoft Word, you used to be able to select the entire table, then
right-click and choose table properties and format the entire table.

Now, I can't see any way of selecting the entire table, and when I right
click from within the table, I can only effect changes to the properties of
the cell/row/column I'm in.

On this occasion, what I would like to do is to change it sow the entire
table does not allow the row to break across pages.

Advice please?

Also, if you have any sway with Microsoft, could you let them know that it
is very, very frustrating to keep finding that functions that worked very
well in the old version of Word that now do not work! For a productivity
tool, the Word 2007 is certainly making me much less productive!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To select the whole table, you can use the mouse or you can press Alt+5 (5
on numeric keypad, with NUMLOCK turned off); in Print Layout view you can
click the table move handle (which displays as you rest the mouse pointer
over the table).

The methods suggested above could be used in Word 2003 as well. In the new
user interface, you can click Select | Select Table on the Table Tools
Layout ribbon.

After you've selected the table, just right-click and choose Table
Properties from the context menu.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"shari" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Shari Shari is offline

Thanks Stefan - I hadn't noticed the 'Layout' button under the Table Tools
ribbon. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Shari

"shari" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

In a way, the new contextual tools in Word 2007 are less apparent than the
contextual toolbars of previous versions, because they force you to keep an
eye on the ribbon. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"shari" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

The table handle (four-pointed arrow at the top left corner) can still be
used in Word 2007 to select the whole table. Unfortunately, double-clicking
it doesn't open Table Properties, but you can still right-click and get
Table Properties after selecting the table.