Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Keith H[_2_] Keith H[_2_] is offline

Default How do I automatically add page breaks?

I am using SAS to automatically create an RTF document. The RTF document
contains one table per page, with all of the contents of the page contained
within that table. The page breaks are coming out perfect, except that the
page breaks are all soft page breaks. I need them to be hard page breaks. I
know how to manually add the hard page breaks, but because this is for a
process that is repeated frequently and the documents are sometimes hundreds
of pages long, that is not a viable solution. Is there a way to automatically
change all page breaks in a document from soft page breaks to hard page
breaks?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Because there is no actual marker associated with the soft page breaks,
there is no "page break" you can search for and replace. If there is
something predictable either at the bottom or at the top of each page, you
could use that recurring item as the basis for find/replace. Other than
that, the only solution that occurs to me would be a macro that advances
page by page, inserting manual page breaks. If the output is long, such a
macro could be slow, since it would have to step through each page and
insert a manual page break.

What I'm not quite grasping, however, is how SAS "knows" where to insert
soft page breaks to guarantee correct paging relative to each table. (I use
SPSS 16, not SAS, and SPSS 16 isn't nearly as neat about page breaks as SAS,
apparently.)

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible