Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
zufhaus

Default version problem - not saving my formatting

hi - i am running office 97 at work, and cannot change this due to our
database designed for access 97. i am editing several books and then sending
them to our printing company to be printed and bound. when i go through my
formatting and editing process and save the file to disc, i take it to them,
they open the file in their system and send it to their printer. the problem
is, when they open it, the file has lost all the formatting, font sizes, page
breaks aetc that i've spent hours working on. when i look at the parent file
on my machine, or print sample pages on my desktop printer they look exactly
as i had intended, but when they print from their end all this formatting is
lost. is this because they are running a newer version of Word? is there
something I can do (besides work from a different computer in somoeone else's
office). We tried to upgrade my machine to office 2000, but all the programs
are bundled and you can't just install WORD, and office 2000 killed my access
database (had to reset the computer to a previous date to undo the install!
yikes). is there some patch I can download? or a workaround? thanks a
bunch - Liz in NM
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm. You may be able to
achieve the desired results by installing the printer driver the printer is
using. Or the only satisfactory solution may be to convert to PDF.

"zufhaus" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
zufhaus

thanks suzanne - you presented me with a couple of options to check out.

also - one of the more important formatting issues not being "saved" is FONT
SIZE - do you think your fix will address this issue as well? For example, i
saved a block of text at 12 pt, but when i save the file to disc and take it
to another machine, that same block of text is now 10 pt. same thing - looks
perfect on my machine, but not when i burn the file to cd and open it
elsewhere. thanks again!

"zufhaus" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Make sure that you don't have "Automatically update styles" checked in Tools
| Templates and Add-ins, especially if you have based the document on
Normal.dot. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/shar...matChange.html

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm. You may be able

achieve the desired results by installing the printer driver the printer

is
using. Or the only satisfactory solution may be to convert to PDF.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.