Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gonzojm2000

Default Why does Word run virus scan on every diskette I try to save on?

I can save Word documents on diskettes and then when I want to open those
files Word automatically runs virus scan. This takes forever. Is there
something wrong with the program or is there a way that I can stop it from
doing it on EVERY file/diskette?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Word doesn't run virus scans - your anti-virus software does, and that's
where to look to make changes.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"gonzojm2000" wrote in message
I can save Word documents on diskettes and then when I want to open those
files Word automatically runs virus scan. This takes forever. Is there
something wrong with the program or is there a way that I can stop it from
doing it on EVERY file/diskette?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Never ever read from, write to or print from floppy with Word. This is the
most certain method of ensuring document corruption. Copy to the hard disc
and work on the document from there. This is equally relevant to other
removable media such as CDRW.

The virus scan message comes not from Word but from linked anti-virus
software. Checking of Word/Office documents can usually be deselected in the
AV program e.g. in Norton AV by turning off its Office Plug-in.

With some versions of the Norton product it may be necessary to unregister
the calling DLL by running the following command line from Windows Start
Run

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"
or
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton
antivirus\officeav.dll"

Other AV apps eg the popular free ediition of Grisoft's AVG antivirus
software, require similar treatment.
In this instance:

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgoff2k.dll"