Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jswesq

Default My Word 2000 templates lock up Word 2003

I created templates in Word 2000 that migrated from earlier versions of Word.
They include toolbars, styles, macros, etc. this includes the Normal
Template. When I tried to start Wood 2003 with my normal template, Word
locked up. I moved my template and renamed it to allow a new Normal template
to start, and Word started right up. When I tried to use the organizer to
move over my toolbars, etc. to the clean normal tempalte, Word locked up
again. This happens with any of the templates that I previously created.
How to I use my old templates, or at lease extract my toolbars, styles and
macros that I spent HOURS creating?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?anN3ZXNx?=,

I created templates in Word 2000 that migrated from earlier versions of Word.
They include toolbars, styles, macros, etc. this includes the Normal
Template. When I tried to start Wood 2003 with my normal template, Word
locked up. I moved my template and renamed it to allow a new Normal template
to start, and Word started right up. When I tried to use the organizer to
move over my toolbars, etc. to the clean normal tempalte, Word locked up
again. This happens with any of the templates that I previously created.
How to I use my old templates, or at lease extract my toolbars, styles and
macros that I spent HOURS creating?

Difficult, if things are damaged at this level in the internal binary
structures. Do you still have a machine with the older version of Word installed
that can open these files?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jswesq

Turns out it was something to do with Norton Antivirus. I could not open any
office 2000 documents, word, or excel. I noticed a virus checking message at
the bottom of the screen. I got suspicious, and I deleted Norton, which was
a trial version, being that this was a new computer. Everything then worked
fine.

P.S. Toshiba support was terrible. They had me one keystroke away from
wiping out my whole hard disk and starting over to fix the problem, (for a 3
week old top of the line laptop) rather than make the effort to figure out
what was going wrong. (they must not have installed Norton correctly.) I
can't tell you how catasrophic that would have been.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?anN3ZXNx?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

They may have installed Norton AV correctly! Norton AV causes problems, or
at least the Office Plug-In causes problems.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"jswesq" wrote in message
[...]

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?anN3ZXNx?=,

[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?anN3ZXNx?=,

Turns out it was something to do with Norton Antivirus. I could not open any
office 2000 documents, word, or excel. I noticed a virus checking message at
the bottom of the screen. I got suspicious, and I deleted Norton, which was
a trial version, being that this was a new computer. Everything then worked
fine.

Thanks for reporting back on this. There've been any number of people asking
about similar problems, recently. I hadn't thought about something like
third-party software!