Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Richard Lewis Haggard

Default How to make hyper link change text automatically

Here's one I bet you wizards know how to do. I have a hyper text link in a
document that references a line whose style includes numbers. As a result,
as things move around, the numbers, of course, change. How can I set up the
hypertext link so that its text updates to have the same number in it?

In the following example, "6.1 File Features" refers to a line with a
numbered style. It has a hypertext link from elsewhere in the document that
looks like:

ConvertToRsXSL( see code in 6.1 File Features)

If a new section is added before the hypertext target, the hypertext itself
needs to update itself so that its text agrees with reality. How can this be
done?
--
Richard Lewis Haggard

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Herb Tyson [MVP]

Depending on how the numbering is implemented, you would either want to use
Insert - Reference - Cross-reference to that numbered item (if some kind of
automatic numbering is used); or bookmark the number, and insert a reference
to the bookmark.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Richard Lewis Haggard" HaggardAtWorldDotStdDotCom wrote in message
Here's one I bet you wizards know how to do. I have a hyper text link in a
document that references a line whose style includes numbers. As a result,
as things move around, the numbers, of course, change. How can I set up
the hypertext link so that its text updates to have the same number in it?

In the following example, "6.1 File Features" refers to a line with a
numbered style. It has a hypertext link from elsewhere in the document
that looks like:

ConvertToRsXSL( see code in 6.1 File Features)

If a new section is added before the hypertext target, the hypertext
itself needs to update itself so that its text agrees with reality. How
can this be done?
--
Richard Lewis Haggard

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you use Insert | Reference | Cross-reference to "Numbered item" and check
the box for "Insert as hyperlink," the hyperlinked cross-reference will not
update entirely automatically, but it will be updated when you update fields
in the document.