caneau

Default Problem with AUTOTEXTLIST

Hi !
I use Win XP SP2 and WORD 2002
I did not find an answer in MVPS' FAQ
I want to use AUTOTEXTLIST in one of my templates.
After creating a character style named "StyleFruit" I create three separate
autotext
entries APPLE, PEACH, PRUNE, all of them having the "StyleFruit" style.
I put field delimiters in my document with CTRL+F9 and write between the
braces to get
{ AUTOTEXTLIST "Liste fruits" \s StyleFruit \t "CLIC droit pour choisir" }
I hit F9 and the field is inserted, it works as it should.
If I place the cursor in the field and hit Maj+F9 I see only now
{ AUTOTEXTLIST \s StyleFruit \t "Clic droit pour choisir" }
Yet the fiels is still working. Why the first argument has desappeared ? Is
it a
bug of my software ? If it is not needed...
The result is the same if I use Insertion \ Field \ AutotextList and fill
the TextBoxes.
Thanks
--
Bernard

Margaret Aldis

Your "Liste fruits" parameter is the literal text that you want displayed
when the field is first inserted. In other words, the initial value of the
field.

Once you have used the field to choose an AutoText, the field displays the
value you have chosen. So it doesn't seem surprising to me that the
parameter is dropped from the field (if you put it back in manually, it will
overwrite the AutoText value you selected).

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"caneau" wrote in message
[...]

caneau

Thank you, that's the answer I was looking for
Bernard

"Margaret Aldis" a écrit dans
le message de news: ...
Your "Liste fruits" parameter is the literal text that you want displayed
when the field is first inserted. In other words, the initial value of the
field.

Once you have used the field to choose an AutoText, the field displays the
value you have chosen. So it doesn't seem surprising to me that the
parameter is dropped from the field (if you put it back in manually, it
will
overwrite the AutoText value you selected).

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
Syntagma partnership site:
http://www.syntagma.co.uk

"caneau" wrote in message
[...]

Margaret Aldis

Hi Bernard

Glad to help - I'd never actually thought about the code changing before so
I learned something too :-)

--

?
Is
it a
bug of my software ? If it is not needed...
The result is the same if I use Insertion \ Field \ AutotextList and

fill
the TextBoxes.
Thanks
--
Bernard

Bob S

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:34:10 -0000, "Margaret Aldis"
wrote:

Hi Bernard

Glad to help - I'd never actually thought about the code changing before so
I learned something too :-)

This sounded strange, so I tried this on my Word 2002, and the text
did not disappear. The field code was the same after the choice was
made as it was before. It actually changed on your system?

Bob S

Margaret Aldis

wrote:

Hi Bernard

Glad to help - I'd never actually thought about the code changing before

so
I learned something too :-)

This sounded strange, so I tried this on my Word 2002, and the text
did not disappear. The field code was the same after the choice was
made as it was before. It actually changed on your system?

Hi Bob - I've just tested this and on Word 2002 the literal text does stay
in the field code as you say. In Word 2003 it disappears, leaving just the
\s (stylename) and \t (tooltip) options. In fact, although you enter it as
part of the field code id you toggle field codes you can see it disappears
immediately, even before you select AutoText from the list - in other words
it immediately becomes the field value,without being stored in the field
code. Remarkably logical, but a total change from previous behaviour g.
Not surprising I'd never spotted it before after all.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

Bob S

Well, it is even more mysterious. I just tried it again, and this time
the prompt text disappeared! So I have no idea what makes the
difference; it is not a 2002 versus 2003 difference.

Bob S

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:31:32 -0000, "Margaret Aldis"
wrote:

.. .