Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
stlof stlof is offline

Default leave a blank line when merging

Using Excel XP and Word XP, how can I force a blank line when there is no
data? ie, i want to leave a line for a user to pencil-in data where none
exists in the database.
--
haf
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Does your line just consist of a single field?

If you want /all/ blank fields to result in blank lines then go into Word
Tools|Customize|Commands, select category "All COmmands", then locate
MailMergeHelper in the list of commands and drag it to a toolbar. Click on
it, then click Merge... and select the appropriate option.

If you want /some/ (or all) blank fields to result in blank lines then nest
the field inside an IF field, e.g.

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD myfield }" = "" "" "{ MERGEFIELD myfield }" }

where all the {} are the special field brace characters you can insert using
ctrl-F9

Peter Jamieson

"stlof" wrote in message
news
Using Excel XP and Word XP, how can I force a blank line when there is no
data? ie, i want to leave a line for a user to pencil-in data where none
exists in the database.
--
haf

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
stlof stlof is offline

Thanks.

no, i'm merging what amounts to a small table. cells contain information or
are blank. there is no problem when any cell has data, the problem arises
when all are blank. let's se if i can demonstrate:

n blank blank blank
results in a line with n in the first column,

however

blank blank blank blank

leaves no line.

any better?
haf

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Does your line just consist of a single field?

If you want /all/ blank fields to result in blank lines then go into Word
Tools|Customize|Commands, select category "All COmmands", then locate
MailMergeHelper in the list of commands and drag it to a toolbar. Click on
it, then click Merge... and select the appropriate option.

If you want /some/ (or all) blank fields to result in blank lines then nest
the field inside an IF field, e.g.

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD myfield }" = "" "" "{ MERGEFIELD myfield }" }

where all the {} are the special field brace characters you can insert using
ctrl-F9

Peter Jamieson

"stlof" wrote in message
news
Using Excel XP and Word XP, how can I force a blank line when there is no
data? ie, i want to leave a line for a user to pencil-in data where none
exists in the database.
--
haf

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I /always/ get a table row here if I have a table row in the mail merge main
document, regardless of whether there is anything in the table or not.

If you haven't actually got a Word table in there (i.e. by "table" you mean
a tabular layout) then the approaches I suggested should be OK.

Otherwise, I can only suggest that you despam my e-address

and send me a copy of your mail merge main document and preferably some
sample output.

Peter Jamieson

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Does your line just consist of a single field?

If you want /all/ blank fields to result in blank lines then go into Word
Tools|Customize|Commands, select category "All COmmands", then locate
MailMergeHelper in the list of commands and drag it to a toolbar. Click
on
it, then click Merge... and select the appropriate option.

If you want /some/ (or all) blank fields to result in blank lines then
nest
the field inside an IF field, e.g.

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD myfield }" = "" "" "{ MERGEFIELD myfield }" }

where all the {} are the special field brace characters you can insert
using
ctrl-F9

Peter Jamieson

news