Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Thespian

Default CD-RW discs

I created several word documents. I want to save them to a CD-RW. When I
re-opened the CD it said "Read Only". How can I re-open the CD and edit my
documents directly to the CD like you can on the old floppy diskettes. I had
to edit the documents on my hard drive, then re-save them to the CD. Is
there a way to by-pass that and edit directly onto the CD? I'm using
Microsoft Word 2002. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Word cannot work with documents on a CD (and you shouldn't be working with
documents on a diskette, either, unless you want to lose them). This is due
to the number of temporary files Word has to create in the working folder.

"Thespian" wrote in message
I created several word documents. I want to save them to a CD-RW. When I
re-opened the CD it said "Read Only". How can I re-open the CD and edit

my
documents directly to the CD like you can on the old floppy diskettes. I

had
to edit the documents on my hard drive, then re-save them to the CD. Is
there a way to by-pass that and edit directly onto the CD? I'm using
Microsoft Word 2002. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

CDRW discs in Windows do not behave like 'big floppy' discs, unless you have
third party packet writing software such as InCD - but such systems are
notoriously unreliable. Never ever work directly from removable media.
Always copy back to the hard drive and uncheck the read-only property before
working on the file.