Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Simon J[_2_] Simon J[_2_] is offline

Default Mailmerge to create a list sorted by category not working

Hi,

Can anyone help on why I get seperate pages out when i try to perform
the following?

{IF {MERGESEQ} = "1" "{MERGEFIELD City}" ""}
{SET Place1 {MERGEFIELD City}}
{IF {Place2} {Place1} "
{MERGEFIELD City}

{MERGEFIELD Employee} {MERGEFIELD Sales} " "{MERGEFIELD Employee}
{MERGEFIELD Sales}"}
{SET Place2 {MERGEFIELD City}}

This is from the Microsoft Support site Article ID: 211303.

I assume that I should get two lists headed up if i work through the
example.

Many thanks in advance

Simon
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Simon,

The example in the KB article does work if it's input correctly and the field names match those in your source file. Did you use
Ctrl-F9 to create the field brace pairs (ie '{ }')?

Also, if you're using an Excel data source, the example in the KB article inserts an extra line between records. The following
(simpler) field code construction doesn't:
{QUOTE{IF{MERGESEQ}= 1 {SET Place ""}}"{IF{MERGEFIELD City} {Place} "{IF{MERGESEQ}= 1 "" "ENTER
"}{MERGEFIELD City}{SET Place {MERGEFIELD City}}ENTER
ENTER
"}{MERGEFIELD Employee}TAB{MERGEFIELD Sales}ENTER
"}ENTER

--
Cheers
macropod

"Simon J" wrote in message ...
Hi,

Can anyone help on why I get seperate pages out when i try to perform
the following?

{IF {MERGESEQ} = "1" "{MERGEFIELD City}" ""}
{SET Place1 {MERGEFIELD City}}
{IF {Place2} {Place1} "
{MERGEFIELD City}

{MERGEFIELD Employee} {MERGEFIELD Sales} " "{MERGEFIELD Employee}
{MERGEFIELD Sales}"}
{SET Place2 {MERGEFIELD City}}

This is from the Microsoft Support site Article ID: 211303.

I assume that I should get two lists headed up if i work through the
example.

Many thanks in advance

Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Simon J[_2_] Simon J[_2_] is offline

On Jul 29, 1:50*pm, "macropod" wrote:
[...]

Simon- Hide quoted text -

Hi Marcopod,

Thanks, your scripting does make it a lot easier. The issue about the
name per page was down to the type of mail merge I was using. As soon
as I used the Directory option from Start Mail Merge it started to
come together.

Many thanks again
Simon