Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Jennings Mike Jennings is offline

Default When I re-start outline numbering, more than 100K bytes are added

When I right-click the first level of a group of lines that are
outline-numbered lines and select "Restart Number", more than 100K bytes are
added to my document EACH TIME I do this operation. and many NORMAL style
lines that were NOT numbered are numberd. Even if I ^Z to remove this change,
the size of the document is NOT restored.

Please let me know how to remove the added bytes, how to not have the other
lines numbered.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Mike

Mike Jennings wrote:
When I right-click the first level of a group of lines that are
outline-numbered lines and select "Restart Number", more than 100K bytes are
added to my document EACH TIME I do this operation. and many NORMAL style
lines that were NOT numbered are numberd. Even if I ^Z to remove this change,
the size of the document is NOT restored.

Please let me know how to remove the added bytes, how to not have the other
lines numbered.

version of Word? Always hard to determine what exactly Word adds to the
file format -- especially when you are working in the binary format. In
Word 2003 Professional (*.xml) or 2007 (*.docx), it's easier to spot
differences.

However, it might be that "fast save" is active with your document. And
the fact that other paragraphs "inherit" a change to one probably means
that the style in question is set to "automatic update".

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Jennings[_2_] Mike Jennings[_2_] is offline

Default When I re-start outline numbering, more than 100K bytes are ad

Thanks for you interest!

The version of MS-Word is: 2003 (11.8227.8221) SP3, the file is type .doc.

Fast saves is NOT enabled, but auto recovery information is saved every 10
minutes.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello Mike

Mike Jennings wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Mike Jennings wrote:
p.s., Interestingly, the automatically update box is NOT checked.

we're talking about the said box in the Modify Style dialog, not in
Tools | Templates and Add-Ins, right?

Hard to fathom. If you can shrink down a sample document, you can send
it to this address and I'd be willing to take a look (no guarantees, of
course).

HTH
Robert
--