Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Srinivas J

Default Word 2000: Why does spell check not pop up a window?

I am trying to find some word in the document, but I dont get the window to
prompt me to enter the word.
Also when I run spell check it does not prompt me for the correction. It
highlights the mis-spelled word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U3Jpbml2YXMgSg==?=,

I am trying to find some word in the document, but I dont get the window to
prompt me to enter the word.
Also when I run spell check it does not prompt me for the correction. It
highlights the mis-spelled word.

Your question isn't very clear. Do you mean Word 2000 isn't marking a word you
think is spelled incorrectly as misspelled? I have no idea what you mean by "I
don't get the window to prompt me to enter the word." What window do you mean?

What's the word? Have you checked whether it's in your custom dictionary?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Srinivas J

Sorry about that.
Earlier to the problem whenever I did a spell check, I used to get a dialog
box, with possible suggested words to replace the in-correct/mis-spelled
word. I do not get this window/dialog box.

Also, when I try to find a word, I do not get a dialog box which will allow
you to enter the word to search. Hence I had totally lost the ability to
search the word document.

I have verified the language and dict related settings. All are at default
english.

I have a Office 2000 with a Office 2000 Professional Upgrade on it. I even
tried the repair options also.

-Srinivas J

-Srinivas J.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?U3Jpbml2YXMgSg==?=,

I am trying to find some word in the document, but I dont get the window to
prompt me to enter the word.
Also when I run spell check it does not prompt me for the correction. It
highlights the mis-spelled word.

Your question isn't very clear. Do you mean Word 2000 isn't marking a word you
think is spelled incorrectly as misspelled? I have no idea what you mean by "I
don't get the window to prompt me to enter the word." What window do you mean?

What's the word? Have you checked whether it's in your custom dictionary?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U3Jpbml2YXMgSg==?=,

Earlier to the problem whenever I did a spell check, I used to get a dialog
box, with possible suggested words to replace the in-correct/mis-spelled
word. I do not get this window/dialog box.

So, you're saying when you press F7 nothing happens?

Also, when I try to find a word, I do not get a dialog box which will allow
you to enter the word to search. Hence I had totally lost the ability to
search the word document.

And also nothing happens when you use Edit/Find (or press Ctrl+F)?

It's possible that macros having the same name as Word's internal commands are
loaded, thus intercepting the normal behavior.

Try starting Word in Safe Mode to see if the problem will go away if all Addins and
customizations are locked out:
START/Run
Type: winword.exe /a

Run that. Word should start, but will probably look "strange". Try spell check and
the "Find" functionality now. If they work, you need to start tracking down
- If you've created any macros named EditFind or ToolsCheckSpelling (or
similar)
- If you've installed any Addins since you notice things stopped working
(including copying templates to Word's or Office's STARTUP folder)
- If you've installed any other products that "enhance" Word with a COM-Addin
- Do a full virus scan

I have verified the language and dict related settings. All are at default
english.

I have a Office 2000 with a Office 2000 Professional Upgrade on it. I even
tried the repair options also.

I am trying to find some word in the document, but I dont get the window to
prompt me to enter the word.
Also when I run spell check it does not prompt me for the correction. It
highlights the mis-spelled word.

Your question isn't very clear. Do you mean Word 2000 isn't marking a word you
think is spelled incorrectly as misspelled? I have no idea what you mean by "I
don't get the window to prompt me to enter the word." What window do you mean?

What's the word? Have you checked whether it's in your custom dictionary?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)