Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JERRY[_2_] JERRY[_2_] is offline

Default Screen view 100%

When I used to work with WP there was a way to remove all menus from the
screen so that a person had 100% of the screen to work with. Is that feature
available with MS W 2007? Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Office Button | Word Options | Customize | All Commands | Full Screen
Reading.

Not a simple Full Screen toggle as in previous versions, but I suppose you
can add this command (?) to the QAT. OTOH, there is neither a ViewFullScreen
nor a FullScreen command under All Commands in Tools | Customize in Word
2003 (though it does appear in the View category), so it may not be
available as a command in Word 2007, either.

"JERRY" JERRY@HOME wrote in message
When I used to work with WP there was a way to remove all menus from the
screen so that a person had 100% of the screen to work with. Is that

feature
available with MS W 2007? Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

The closest you have is the Full Screen Reading view. It's on the View
buttons at the bottom right corner of the screen next to the Zoom Slider.

Make sure you check out the View options for Full Screen Reading view, for
example you can show a single page, show it as it would look when printed,
ect.

The only other alternative is to use a macro for this, the old Full Screen
view is still available but only accessible through the object model. Here's
the macro:

Sub FullScreenView()
With ActiveWindow
.View.FullScreen = True
.View.Zoom.PageFit = wdPageFitTextFit
End With
End Sub

Note you need to press Esc to close the Full Screen view.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"JERRY" JERRY@HOME wrote in message
When I used to work with WP there was a way to remove all menus from the
screen so that a person had 100% of the screen to work with. Is that
feature available with MS W 2007? Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JERRY[_2_] JERRY[_2_] is offline

No, sorry. Neither of these suggestions accomplish what is needed. What is
desired is to be able to work with a full screen without all of the real
estate gobbled up by menus, etc. Thanks for the try

Jerry

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Ctrl+F1 hides the ribbon. If you then put the QAT above the ribbon
tabs (sharing space with the title bar), you have only two rows of
stuff at the top, a total of maybe 40 pixels, plus the status bar at
the bottom. If you also let the Windows taskbar autohide, the active
page occupies more than 90% of the screen depth. That's as good as
it's going to get.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:42:08 -0400, "JERRY" JERRY@HOME wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I suspect you didn't try my macro method. :-)

In doing so, all you see is the document on the screen, perhaps a small area
to the left and right of the document, and nothing else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JERRY[_2_] JERRY[_2_] is offline

I am ashamed to admit that I did not. Have worked with Word Perfect for over
20 years and am trying to convert to Word. Never was much good with macros
in WP. I figured it would take a rocket scientist to do this one ... or at
least a little more help from someone in this group. (smile)
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JERRY[_2_] JERRY[_2_] is offline

I am ashamed to admit that I did not. Have worked with Word Perfect for over
20 years and am tying to convert to Word. Never was much good with macros in
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Well then why didn't you ask? ;-)

To use the macro follow these steps:
- In Word, click the Microsoft Office Button and then click Word Options
- In the Popular section, turn on Show Developer tab in the Ribbon
- Click OK to close Word Options and apply the change
- On the Developer tab, click Macros
- In the Macro Name text box, type FullScreenView (no spaces allowed)
- Make sure the Macros In list reflects "Normal.dotm (global template)"
- Click Create
- Copy the lines from below:

With ActiveWindow
.View.FullScreen = True
.View.Zoom.PageFit = wdPageFitTextFit
End With

- Paste the copied lines between Sub FullScreenView and End Sub
- From the File menu, click Close and Return to Microsoft Office Word

To add the macro to your Quick Access Toolbar:
- Click the More button (down pointing arrow) at the end of your QAT and
then click More Commands
- From the "Choose commands from" list, select macros
- Select the macro, FullScreenView and click Add to add it to your QAT
- Use the Modify command to modify the icon and ScreenTip, if desired.
- Click OK to close Word Options
- Try the macro.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"JERRY" JERRY@HOME wrote in message
I am ashamed to admit that I did not. Have worked with Word Perfect for
over 20 years and am tying to convert to Word. Never was much good with
macros in WP. I figured it would take a rocket scientist to do this one ...
or at least a little more help from someone in this group. (smile)
Jerry

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
I suspect you didn't try my macro method. :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JERRY[_2_] JERRY[_2_] is offline

Thanks Beth
I'll give it a try over the weekend and the end of my normal workweek. Can't
afford the time until then, but am anxious to give macros a try in Word.
With appreciation
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You're welcome. It should be pretty easy, a few button clicks and copy
paste. Once you create the macro and try it out, let us know if that's what
you were looking for. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JERRY[_2_] JERRY[_2_] is offline

Well, I just couldn't wait until the weekend, especially since the way you
described it seem so straight forward. Excellent, Beth. Easy, because your
instructions were precise and I followed them to the detail. Being new to MS
Word, you momentarily thru me with your "QAT", but after pause. I figured it
out. The macro worked and it was what I was looking for. Thank you again.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Great to hear! I'm glad you found the steps easy and the solution was what
you were looking for. Thanks for letting us know. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JERRY[_2_] JERRY[_2_] is offline

Beth
I successfuly run the macro and then exit MS Word. When I start it up again
I get the message that the macro cannot be found or has been disabled
because of macro security settings. My settings are "enable all macros." I
have run your suggested setup twice now. Each time the macro works ... only
until such time as I exit MS Word and then start it up again. Then I get the
error when I try running the macro. This had to be too easy (smile)

[...]

for over 20 years and am tying to convert to Word. Never was much good
with macros in WP. I figured it would take a rocket scientist to do
this one ... or at least a little more help from someone in this
group. (smile)
Jerry

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
I suspect you didn't try my macro method. :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

It sounds like the changes your Normal template aren't being saved when you
exit Word. Any changes you make are saved at that time unless to manually
save your Normal template. Quick Access Toolbar customizations, btw, aren't
stored in your Normal template which is why the button is still there but
the macro is missing.

Try creating the macro again (you should be pretty good at this by now!
;-) ) BUT before you exit the Visual Basic Editor, click the Save button in
order to manually save your Normal template and not depend it being saved
automatically when you exit Word.

Now, why it isn't being saved is the primary problem. Do you have the Adobe
Add-in installed? If you do then this add-in is known for discarding changes
you make to your Normal template when you exit Word and that's likely the
cause. If you need help disabling the add-in just let us know. If you don't
have the Adobe add-in then let us know that too because something else is
preventing the changes from being saved.

Also, since the macro is in your Normal template you shouldn't need to alter
your macro security since it's considered a trusted template. That being the
case, you may want to change your macro security back. Usually if you use
macros then the recommended setting is "Disable all macros with
notification.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JERRY[_2_] JERRY[_2_] is offline

Beth
Disabling the Adobe Add in (on) did the trick. I am not sure what long term
effect that will have on Adobe. However, the same add on (in) was creating
another error when trying to access certain web sites. It seems that every
thing was cleared up however after I loaded internet explorer and disable
the Adobe Add in (on)

Thanks for your help. FullScreenView macro is now working

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Glad to hear it's now working. :-)

The Adobe application itself will still work fine. If you never used the
Adobe add-in from Word then there won't be an issue. If you did you can
still use the Print dialog box and use the Acrobat PDF printer. Note that
Office 2007 now has PDF capabilities as well so you may not need it for
converting documents to PDF anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JERRY[_2_] JERRY[_2_] is offline

I am back to square one on this issue again. I had to reinstall my system
and applications. And for whatever reason I can't get the macro to stick. I
create and recreate. Exit MS and the macro disappears somehow. Disabling
add-ons does not seem to help. Any other suggestion out there would be
appreciated. I surely like the feature of being able to work full screen.
Thanks
[...]

Perfect for over 20 years and am tying to convert to Word. Never
was much good with macros in WP. I figured it would take a rocket
scientist to do this one ... or at least a little more help from
someone in this group. (smile)
Jerry

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
I suspect you didn't try my macro method. :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JERRY[_2_] JERRY[_2_] is offline

FIXED IT!
Have to save before you exit the Visual Basic Editor. Beth mentioned this
earlier, but I forgot to click the Save button in order to manually save the
[...]

Please post all follow-up questions to the newsgroup. Requests
for assistance by email cannot be acknowledged.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"JERRY" JERRY@HOME wrote in message
I am ashamed to admit that I did not. Have worked with Word
Perfect for over 20 years and am tying to convert to Word. Never
was much good with macros in WP. I figured it would take a rocket
scientist to do this one ... or at least a little more help from
someone in this group. (smile)
Jerry

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
I suspect you didn't try my macro method. :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Just getting ready to post that suggestion. Glad to hear you have it
resolved. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"JERRY" JERRY@HOME wrote in message
FIXED IT!
Have to save before you exit the Visual Basic Editor. Beth mentioned this
earlier, but I forgot to click the Save button in order to manually save
the Normal template and not depend it being