Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Barnet Barnet is offline

Default Problem arranging mail merge fields

Hi,

I'd like to use four fields for the name of my contacts when I do a mail
merge. They a

(Title) (First) (Middle_Name) (Last).

However, for contacts with no title, one space appears before the first name:

Gigantic Corp
1234 River Rd.... etc.

And for contacts with no middle name, two spaces appear between the first
and last names:

Mr. Big Deal
4321 Desert Dr..... etc.

If I try it by putting no space between the Title and First fields,
everything is fine for those contacts with no title. But then, contacts with
a title have no space between the title and the first name... Mr.Big Deal

Thanks in advance for help with this problem.

Barnet
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You need to use an If...then...Else field construction that tests for the
presence of data in the fields that may be empty and inserts that field and
a space if there is, or else, just the next field.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Barnet" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Here's an article that should help you with what you want to accomplish:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/MMergeIfFields.htm

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out: