Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default create table of contents using headers

Hi,

I am not having any luck using individual headers to create a table of
contents in a word.doc. Can this be done?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Thanks for the response - I am OK with headings, that works fine. But
in the same word.doc, I also want to use wording contained in headers
as well. Thanks again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Thanks for the response - I am OK with headings, that works fine. But
in the same word.doc, I also want to use wording contained in headers
as well. Thanks again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Header text cannot be included in a TOC. The purpose of a TOC (even if you
omit page numbers) is to list what page a given heading appears on. Since
headers by definition appear on more than one page, this is not possible.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the response - I am OK with headings, that works fine. But
in the same word.doc, I also want to use wording contained in headers
as well. Thanks again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom

This is not possible, but you can do it the other way around: Insert a
STYLEREF field in the header to include (say) the current Heading 1
paragraph.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP