Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
erik_gregory erik_gregory is offline

Default Form Macros, Form Output to DB

Word 2003, OS XP.

I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction on these questions.

1. I would like to make a macro in a Word form that will do something like
the following: If a user selects California from a drop-down menu, the
following zip code drop-down menu will populate with California zip codes. I
know about the "Run Macro Before/After" features, but can a macro that does
this be recorded through the Word interface or must I write the macro myself
in VB (which I'm not very good at).

2. Word can output form results into a text file (i.e., "last name", "first
name", "DOB", etc.) which, according to the documentation, can be "easily
inserted into a DB." But how is this done efficiently? Copy/paste from the
text file? Please advise anyone with thanx!

Erik
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In answer to your first question, the macro recorder cannot do that.

See the Cascading Listboxes section of the
following page on fellow MVP Greg Maxey's website:

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Populate_UserForm_ListBox.htm

For the second question, see the last of the following series of articles:

http://www.mousetrax.com/techpage.html#autoforms

Please Fill Out This Form
Part 1: Create professional looking forms in Word
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22

Part 2: Adding Automation to your Word forms.
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=46

Part 3: Learn more VBA (macros) to automate your forms.
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=119

Part 4: Use custom dialog boxes in your Word forms
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=127

Part 5: Connect your AutoForm to a database to save input time and keep
better records!
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=136

--
Hope this helps.