Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy Kathy is offline

Default Cross References

I dutifully inserted cross-references into my document, expecting that if I
selected the whole document and hit PF9, they would automatically udpate,
accommodating insertions and deletions. But, this is not happening.
Specifically, I have a Text Header "1.0 XXXX" and I want only "1.0" to appear
in my text. AND, if I insert a header before it, then the header is
automatically renumbered "2.0 XXXX" and I want only "2.0" to appear in my
text.

FYI, From the Cross Reference dialog, I inserted my references as a numbered
paragraph. I checked the Help Text, which was unclear. The Field code
detail for what I inserted is:

{ REF _Ref19093017 \r \h }

Since I have already placed tens if not hundreds of faulty cross-references
in my document, I would like to know:
a) How I should have done it (for next time), and
b) is there any way to change all of the existing Field Codes to have the
desired update behavior.

Thank you for your ideas.
--- Kathy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
erik_gregory erik_gregory is offline

Try the following:

1. When inserting cross references, point it towards the heading you want
and then from the Insert reference to: drop down menu select Heading Number
(alternatively, Heading Number (no context)). If you've done this, then the
likely problem is #2 below.

2. If the number of your heading doesn't display in your cross reference,
the likely cause is because you've simply typed in the heading number, and
Word doesn't recognize that as a bona fide number (it thinks it's just text).
To resolve this, you need to style your headings so they are assigned
automated numbers by Word (Format/Styles and Formatting/select the heading
(for example, H1)/Modify/Format/Numbering/Numbered Tab). From there you will
be able to tell Word, "Hey, assign numbers to these headings"). When this has
been accomplished, try to update your refs again. If it doesn't work, you'll
probably need to reinsert the x-refs. Good luck!

Erik

"Kathy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_190_] Henk57[_190_] is offline

Kathy;2633804 Wrote:
[...]

What you describe should work, I think. The xrefs show as fields.
(Make the Field shading show as "Always" gray in Tools/Options/[View]
to leave any doubt). I would refer to Headings, not Numbered Items,
choosing the paragraph number (no context) option (which creates thhe
\n, not \r switch), but that's more a matter of style and preferences
than a "required syntax" issue. What precisely isn't working? the
updating after [Crtl-A] + [F9]? or do the xrefs show wrongly?
AFAIK, there is no way to automatically recreate yr xrefs.

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Kathy" wrote:

I dutifully inserted cross-references into my document, expecting that if I
selected the whole document and hit PF9, they would automatically udpate,
accommodating insertions and deletions. But, this is not happening.
Specifically, I have a Text Header "1.0 XXXX" and I want only "1.0" to appear
in my text. AND, if I insert a header before it, then the header is
automatically renumbered "2.0 XXXX" and I want only "2.0" to appear in my
text.

FYI, From the Cross Reference dialog, I inserted my references as a numbered
paragraph. I checked the Help Text, which was unclear. The Field code
detail for what I inserted is:

{ REF _Ref19093017 \r \h }

Make sure you use proper styles for your headings. This may be the cause of
the problems you are experiencing. For simple documents, it is better to
always use the built-in Heading 1 to Heading 9 styles. For more on style and
numbering, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

Otherwise it may have to do with heavy editing after the fact...
The field code you posted is a REF field to a hidden bookmark. Hidden
bookmarks are created by Word in some cases when you use some functions, like
the cross-reference one. Hidden bookmarks all start with an underscore
character.

That being said, I have seen your situation in the past because of the
following:
When you first inserted the xRef, Word created a hidden bookmark in the
heading to represent the number. Later, if you edit that heading, the
bookmark boundaries may change, which means that the xRef is now pointing to
something different. Normally, when you use xref that point to paragraph
numbers (as you did), it does not matter. But if there was heavy editing...
It can happen that Word is confused and the field may not point to what they
should anymnore.

Once, becasue my client made too many changes, most xRef where off. What I
did was to display the field codes as you did, I noted the hidden bookmark
names that were behind the faulty xref. Then, by using the Bookmarks dialog
box (which has an option to display the hidden bookmarks, you may have to
close the dialog and reopen it for it to work) I was able to get to each
hidden bookmark location and see exactly what they where pointing to. Then, I
selected the text that should be used as a reference and reassigned the
bookmark with the same hidden bookmark name. This meant that instead of
fixing all the xrefs, I fixed the source. After that, all xref that pointed
to the bookmarks I fixed were OK.

How you proceeed depends on the amounts of work involved. Will it be faster
to simply fix the source as I suggest? Or, in some cases, it might be faster
to just delete and redefine the xref themselves. Since I had more than 5 or 6
xref to each heading, I felt it was faster to fix the source...