Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DonnaP. DonnaP. is offline

Default Nonbreaking Hyphen Issue

We are currently using Word 2002. One of our users told me her nonbreaking
hyphen no longer works (she places her cursor within the word and presses the
CTRL + SHIFT + HYPHEN keys). I then tried it on my computer and found the
same issue. This was working correctly for this particular user as of last
week. If I choose Tools | Languages and Manual it works but she uses this
feature a lot and would like to do it on the fly. I thought perhaps her
keyboard was no longer associating those strokes with the right command so I
went to the customize keyboard and reset it but the feature is still not
working correctly. Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you reset the keyboard shortcuts, I believe you will have to re-assign
Ctrl+Shift+hyphen to non-breaking hyphen. It isn't assigned by default.

On the other hand, if you are referring to an optional hyphen, the shortcut
is Ctrl+Hyphen.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"DonnaP." wrote:

We are currently using Word 2002. One of our users told me her nonbreaking
hyphen no longer works (she places her cursor within the word and presses the
CTRL + SHIFT + HYPHEN keys). I then tried it on my computer and found the
same issue. This was working correctly for this particular user as of last
week. If I choose Tools | Languages and Manual it works but she uses this
feature a lot and would like to do it on the fly. I thought perhaps her
keyboard was no longer associating those strokes with the right command so I
went to the customize keyboard and reset it but the feature is still not
working correctly. Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you reset the keyboard shortcuts, I believe you will have to re-assign
Ctrl+Shift+hyphen to non-breaking hyphen. It isn't assigned by default.

I have to take that back. :-(

Ctrl+Shift+Hyphen *is* assigned to non-breaking hyphen, by default.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP