Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
samiam samiam is offline

Default Auto List with a Hard Return Numbering Question

We are trying to make a list where the number (with a period) is alone on one
line, centered, and the paragraph text starts below, with the first line of
text indented .5". Does anyone know how to go about doing this? Here is an
example, assuming it doesn't reformat:

I.

This defendant admits that an incident occurred on or about the time
and place alleged in plaintiff's Complaint, but denies that it occurred in
the manner alleged in plaintiff's Complaint.

II.

This defendant admits that an incident occurred on or about the time
and place alleged in plaintiff's Complaint, but denies that it occurred in
the manner alleged in plaintiff's Complaint.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
samiam samiam is offline

I think that makes sense. However, the problem we seem to be having is that
we cannot get the number with no text after it. When we try to create a new
numbering style, it seems to insist on having text after the number, rather
than just a hard return.

"samiam" wrote in message
We are trying to make a list where the number (with a period) is alone on
one
line, centered, and the paragraph text starts below, with the first line
of
text indented .5". Does anyone know how to go about doing this? Here is an
example, assuming it doesn't reformat:

I.

This defendant admits that an incident occurred on or about the time
and place alleged in plaintiff's Complaint, but denies that it occurred in
the manner alleged in plaintiff's Complaint.

II.

This defendant admits that an incident occurred on or about the time
and place alleged in plaintiff's Complaint, but denies that it occurred in
the manner alleged in plaintiff's Complaint.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the Bullets and Numbering dialog you'll need to select Outline Numbering
rather than Numbering. This gives you some extra options. After selecting
the numbering style and creating the number format (if necessary: if you
choose the third pane from the left in the List Gallery, you'll get capital
roman numerals followed by a period as the default), click the More button
and choose "Nothing" for "Follow number with." You'll then be able to apply
the Heading 1 style (which you have linked to this level if Word has not
already done so) and press Enter. If you have set the style for the body
text paragraph as the "Style for following paragraph" in the Heading 1 style
definition, you'll get this style automatically.

Note, by the way that the period you show after the number *is* "text," but
you can delete it from the "Number format" box if you don't want it.

"samiam" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
samiam samiam is offline

That worked really well except for one thing. For some reason the very first
roman numeral disappears when you hit enter. Yet, if you type something
after it, then delete that text and hit enter, it will stay.

Any ideas?

"samiam" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unfortunately, this is Word's default behavior with numbered items; if you
press Enter after just the number, it evidently thinks you want an
unnumbered empty paragraph. You can type a space (which won't affect the
centering) and then press Enter and the number will remain.

I thought I had used this technique without issue, but I suspect this may
depend on whether or not you have a different style set as the following
style. It's when you get two numbered paragraphs in a row, the first one
empty, that the problem should really arise.

Or it may be that I defined the style after applying it, or went back and
applied it to existing paragraphs (in either of which cases, Enter would not
be involved).