Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wez Wez is offline

Default Word 2000 protection

Hi All,

I have noticed a difference in the protection mechanisms of Word 2000
and Word 2003/7. In word 2003, there are 4 ways of protecting a
document...
-Filling in forms
-Tracked changes
-Comments
-Readonly

Word 2000 does not have the last option. Is there a way I can get Word
2000 to be able to open a document that was protected using Readonly?
Or must I upgrade to 2003?

Just some extra information..When I create exceptions on the document
using 2003, they are not reflected when I open it in Word 2000. The
exceptions are cancelled and I cannot edit it.

Is there anyone with the same issue?
Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Newer versions also bring additions to the application. :-) As you noted,
the "(Read only)" option isn't available in Word 2000 and the only
workaround is to upgrade to a version that includes the option which is Word
2003 or Word 2007.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Wez" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have noticed a difference in the protection mechanisms of Word 2000
and Word 2003/7. In word 2003, there are 4 ways of protecting a
document...
-Filling in forms
-Tracked changes
-Comments
-Readonly

Word 2000 does not have the last option. Is there a way I can get Word
2000 to be able to open a document that was protected using Readonly?
Or must I upgrade to 2003?

Just some extra information..When I create exceptions on the document
using 2003, they are not reflected when I open it in Word 2000. The
exceptions are cancelled and I cannot edit it.

Is there anyone with the same issue?
Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Wez,

If you save a 'Read only' protected document from Word 2003 and open it in Word 2000 and use Tools=Unprotect it should prompt you
for a password and unlock. If you save in Word 2000 Protected for forms, but have no sections set to allow input (i.e. protect the
whole document) it should generally act the same as read only in both versions.

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP