Mary Sasiela

Default drop-down form fields

I need to have the following text in a drop-down field in Word 2000:

Text & Text

If I place &&& in between the 2 words, it displays correctly in the
drop-down. But once the user selects this one, the & is dropped altogether.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thx. in advance.

Mary
Anne Troy

A known issue, Mary. No workaround is provided.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=125892
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Mary Sasiela" wrote in message
I need to have the following text in a drop-down field in Word 2000:

Text & Text

If I place &&& in between the 2 words, it displays correctly in the
drop-down. But once the user selects this one, the & is dropped
altogether.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thx. in advance.

Mary

Mary Sasiela

Thanks for your quick reply!

So ... if I use the word "and", that's fine but my text length in the field
is restricted. My text exceeds 50 characters. Any tricks up your sleeve???
Pleeeezzze??

And thx. again!

"Anne Troy" wrote:

A known issue, Mary. No workaround is provided.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=125892
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Mary Sasiela" wrote in message
I need to have the following text in a drop-down field in Word 2000:

Text & Text

If I place &&& in between the 2 words, it displays correctly in the
drop-down. But once the user selects this one, the & is dropped
altogether.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thx. in advance.

Mary

Anne Troy

Sweet, Graham.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Anne Troy" wrote:

A known issue, Mary. No workaround is provided.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=125892
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Mary Sasiela" wrote in
message ...
I need to have the following text in a drop-down field in Word 2000:

Text & Text

If I place &&& in between the 2 words, it displays correctly in the
drop-down. But once the user selects this one, the & is dropped
altogether.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thx. in advance.

Mary

Mary Sasiela

Good morning & thanks to you both! I will try tonight & let you know.

Best,
mary

"Anne Troy" wrote:

Sweet, Graham.
************

"Anne Troy" wrote:

A known issue, Mary. No workaround is provided.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=125892
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Mary Sasiela" wrote in
message ...
I need to have the following text in a drop-down field in Word 2000:

Text & Text

If I place &&& in between the 2 words, it displays correctly in the
drop-down. But once the user selects this one, the & is dropped
altogether.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thx. in advance.

Mary

Mary Sasiela

OK, I'm having a hard time.

I've pasted the code into the Macro window & saved it. What I don't
understand is where to put the conditional field

What I want is:
- in a drop down to have a long string 50 characters & it needs to display &
- when selected, simply inserts that string into the cell of the table.

So ... if the string is:
Company & Company Long Text & More Long Text

- the & appear in the drop down but (1) the string is too long and (2) the
&s do not appear in the text.

Graham - is this what your website is telling me to try? I don't want files
inserted - just text.

Help!

"Anne Troy" wrote:

A known issue, Mary. No workaround is provided.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=125892
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Mary Sasiela" wrote in
message ...
I need to have the following text in a drop-down field in Word 2000:

Text & Text

If I place &&& in between the 2 words, it displays correctly in the
drop-down. But once the user selects this one, the & is dropped
altogether.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thx. in advance.

Mary

Anne Troy

I think what Graham is trying to tell you is that you MUST do it this way.
Those files are just another method of storing the text you want to use, and
I imagine that the drop-down is working like a "menu" more so than it
providing the actual text that's being inserted. Maybe that'll get you
going.
************

"Anne Troy" wrote:

A known issue, Mary. No workaround is provided.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=125892
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Mary Sasiela" wrote in
message ...
I need to have the following text in a drop-down field in Word 2000:

Text & Text

If I place &&& in between the 2 words, it displays correctly in the
drop-down. But once the user selects this one, the & is dropped
altogether.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thx. in advance.

Mary

Mary Sasiela

Anne thx. But that can't work. This is a huge global company. They won't
buy into having to ship a form document and it's supporting text document
just to get a text string inserted.

So ... I need to find another solution. Maybe I'm just SOL.

Mary

"Anne Troy" wrote:

A known issue, Mary. No workaround is provided.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=125892
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Mary Sasiela" wrote in
message ...
I need to have the following text in a drop-down field in Word 2000:

Text & Text

If I place &&& in between the 2 words, it displays correctly in the
drop-down. But once the user selects this one, the & is dropped
altogether.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thx. in advance.

Mary

Anne Troy

Then do this, Mary.
Create each entry as an autotext entry. Instead of inserting files, have his
macro run your autotext entry. Autotext entries MUST be stored in templates
(DOT files), so beware of that if you had other ideas.
************

"Anne Troy" wrote:

A known issue, Mary. No workaround is provided.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=125892
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Mary Sasiela" wrote in
message ...
I need to have the following text in a drop-down field in Word
2000:

Text & Text

If I place &&& in between the 2 words, it displays correctly in
the
drop-down. But once the user selects this one, the & is dropped
altogether.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thx. in advance.

Mary

Mary Sasiela

Thx. Anne. I'll suggest that to them.

Even though this is a huge global company, they've got it in for .dot files.
They don't like the FileNew concept. Not all users use Word as they should
- they just do it the way they're used to.

Thx. again for your support, persistence & suggestions.

Mary