Dick Snow

Default Saving Office files on a network

I have two computers, one with Windows ME and one with Windows XP. My files
are on the WinME computer and the directory is mapped to the XP machine, with
full access and no password. Using either Word or Excel, if I open a file,
then edit the file, I can save it with no problem, as long as I dont change
the filename. If I either edit the file, or dont make any changes at all,
and then attempt to do a Save As, then use a different filename, I get the
message €œThe folder €˜F:\document name.doc isnt accessible. The folder may
be located in an unavailable location, protected with a password, or filename
contains a / or \.
I also find that if I open a document, do a select all, then copy the text,
then paste it into a new document, I still get the same error message when I
attempt to save it. Creating a new document from scratch works OK. I then
tried copying the text, closing the original document, then pasting and again
attempting to save with a new name. I still get the same error message. It
appears that anything which has already been saved can not be put into a new
document or saved with another name. This problem also happens with Excel.
I can browse, change filenames, and do anything I want using Windows
Explorer, the problem seems to be isolated to Office apps.
I also have a friend who has the same setup and also has the same identical
problem. Could this issue be related to Service Pack 2 compatibility with
Windows ME?
garfield-n-odie

If you installed Windows update KB885250 "MS05-011: Vulnerability in
server message block could allow remote code execution", try
uninstalling KB885250 in Start | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs.